Agricultural productivity and its determinants: revisiting international experiences
AbstractThis paper makes three contributions to the literature on agricultural productivity. First, we provide estimates of growth in agriculture’s total factor productivity (TFP) for a panel of countries using a translog-production function. In contrast to most of the existing literature, the evidence suggests that agricultural TFP growth in developing countries has been positive during the past four decades. Second, the empirical analysis looks at the determinants of agricultural productivity by controlling for infrastructure and other public goods. Third, we pay close attention to international heterogeneity with a special focus on Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) countries. The econometric results suggest that electricity generating capacity per capita has had positive effects on agricultural TFP, whereas roads and credit availability have had negative effects worldwide. Literacy also appears to be important for promoting agricultural productivity. The regression models also control for climactic anom
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chile, Department of Economics in its journal Estudios de Economia.
Volume (Year): 31 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 Year 2004 (December)
Agriculture; Productivity; Regional study.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O49 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Other
- Q19 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lio, Monchi & Liu, Meng-Chun, 2008. "Governance and agricultural productivity: A cross-national analysis," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 504-512, December.
- Markus Eberhardt & Francis Teal, 2009.
"A Common Factor Approach to Spatial Heterogeneity in Agricultural Productivity Analysis,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2009-05, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Eberhardt, Markus & Teal, Francis, 2009. "A Common Factor Approach to Spatial Heterogeneity in Agricultural Productivity Analysis," MPRA Paper 15810, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francis Teal & Markus Eberhardt, 2009. "A Common Factor Approach to Spatial Heterogeneity in Agricultural Productivity Analysis," Economics Series Working Papers CSAE WPS/2009-05, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Carlos Ludena, 2010.
"Agricultural Productivity Growth, Efficiency Change and Technical Progress in Latin America and the Caribbean,"
Research Department Publications
4675, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ludena, Carlos E., 2012. "Agricultural Productivity Growth, Efficiency Change and Technical Progress in Latin America and the Caribbean," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126850, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Cassiano Bragagnolo & Humberto F. S. Spolador & Geraldo Sant’Ana de Camargo Barros, 2010. "Regional Brazilian Agriculture TFP Analysis: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis Approach," Economia, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 11(4), pages 217_242.
- Trindade, Federico J., 2012. "Is there a Slowdown in Agricultural Productivity Growth in South America?," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126915, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bharati, Preeti & Fulginiti, Lilyan, 2007. "Institutions and Agricultural Productivity in Mercosur," MPRA Paper 9669, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Iimi, Atsushi & Smith, James Wilson, 2007. "what is missing between agricultural growth and infrastructure development ? cases of coffee and dairy in Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4411, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verónica Kunze).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.