Trade orientation measurement and consequences
AbstractNew trade theory and endogenous growth models have revived the debate on the static and dynamic implications of trade orientation. Alas, a decade of models has produced more ambiguity than clarity, placing a premium on empirical work. Unfortunately, existing indices of trade orientation invite substantial criticism. In the first part of the paper we construct a new measure, based on the difference between actual trade and the trade levels predicted by a factor endowments mode. In the second part, we use the index to examine the link between trade orientation and economic growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chile, Department of Economics in its journal Estudios de Economia.
Volume (Year): 20 (1993)
Issue (Month): esp Year 1993 (june)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999.
"Trade Policy and Economic Growth: a Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence,"
9912, Economic Research Forum, revised Apr 1999.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 2001. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, Volume 15, pages 261-338 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodríguez, Francisco & Rodrik, Dani, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Sceptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2143, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to Cross-National Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mihir Pandey, 2004. "Impact of trade liberalisation in manufacturing industry in India in the 1980s and 1990s," Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi Working Papers 140, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, India.
- Pritchett, Lant, 1996. "Measuring outward orientation in LDCs: Can it be done?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 307-335, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verónica Kunze).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.