Capital Structure and Interaction among Firms in Output Markets: Theory and Evidence
AbstractI develop a simple model that examines the relations between the extent of competitive interaction among firms in output markets, their capital structures, and the aggressiveness of their operating strategies. A firm's optimal leverage is related to the degree to which its operating strategy affects its rivals' value functions and resulting optimal output market choices. This relation is positive, regardless of whether the competition in output markets is in strategic substitutes or in strategic complements. I test the model's prediction using two proxies for the extent of competitive interaction among firms. The empirical evidence provides support for the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 79 (2006)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lyandres, Evgeny, 2010. "Target leverage and the costs of issuing seasoned equity," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 39-52, March.
- Kale, Jayant R. & Shahrur, Husayn, 2007. "Corporate capital structure and the characteristics of suppliers and customers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 321-365, February.
- Schoubben, Frederiek & Van Hulle, Cynthia, 2009. "The impact of capital market imperfections on the relationship between competition and corporate performance," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/222974, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Sánchez-Valadez, Manuel, 2012. "Decisiones financieras, competencia en el mercado y desempeño de las empresas: Evidencia empírica para Iberoamérica/Financial Decisions, Market Competition and Firm Performance: Empirical Evidence ," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 359 (36 pag, Abril.
- Schoubben, Frederiek & Van Hulle, Cynthia, 2009. "The impact of capital market imperfections on the relationship between competition and corporate performance," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/384385, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Chod, Jiri & Lyandres, Evgeny, 2011. "Strategic IPOs and product market competition," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 45-67, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.