Capital Structure and Interaction among Firms in Output Markets: Theory and Evidence
AbstractI develop a simple model that examines the relations between the extent of competitive interaction among firms in output markets, their capital structures, and the aggressiveness of their operating strategies. A firm's optimal leverage is related to the degree to which its operating strategy affects its rivals' value functions and resulting optimal output market choices. This relation is positive, regardless of whether the competition in output markets is in strategic substitutes or in strategic complements. I test the model's prediction using two proxies for the extent of competitive interaction among firms. The empirical evidence provides support for the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 79 (2006)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- de Jong, A. & Nguyen, T.T. & van Dijk, M.A., 2007.
"Strategic Debt: Evidence from Bertrand and Cournot Competition,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2007-057-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Abe de Jong & Thuy Thu Nguyen & Mathijs A. van Dijk, 2008. "Strategic Debt: Evidence from Bertrand and Cournot Competition," Working Papers 11, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Chod, Jiri & Lyandres, Evgeny, 2011. "Strategic IPOs and product market competition," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 45-67, April.
- Mitani, Hidetaka, 2014. "Capital structure and competitive position in product market," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 358-371.
- Lyandres, Evgeny, 2010. "Target leverage and the costs of issuing seasoned equity," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 39-52, March.
- Sarkar, Sudipto, 2014. "Product–market flexibility and capital structure," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 111-122.
- Valta, Philip, 2012. "Competition and the cost of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 661-682.
- Larkin, Yelena, 2013. "Brand perception, cash flow stability, and financial policy," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 232-253.
- Berger, Allen N. & Bouwman, Christa H.S., 2013. "How does capital affect bank performance during financial crises?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 146-176.
- Kale, Jayant R. & Shahrur, Husayn, 2007. "Corporate capital structure and the characteristics of suppliers and customers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 321-365, February.
- Sánchez-Valadez, Manuel, 2012. "Decisiones financieras, competencia en el mercado y desempeño de las empresas: Evidencia empírica para Iberoamérica/Financial Decisions, Market Competition and Firm Performance: Empirical Evidence ," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 359 (36 pag, Abril.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.