Macromomentum: Returns Predictability in International Equity Indices
AbstractThis study examines momentum and reversals in international stock market indices. We find that country stock indices exhibit momentum during the first year after the portfolio formation date and reversals during the subsequent 2 years. Positive currency momentum predicts low stock index returns in the future, thereby weakening momentum and strengthening reversals in U.S. dollar-denominated stock index returns. Cross-sectional regression tests involving individual stock indices confirm the portfolio findings. Our results are consistent with a key prediction of recent behavioral theories, that initial momentum should be accompanied by subsequent reversals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 79 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Geetesh Bhardwaj & Gary Gorton & K. Rouwenhorst, 2008.
"Fooling Some of the People All of the Time: The Inefficient Performance and Persistence of Commodity Trading Advisors,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
amz2429, Yale School of Management.
- Geetesh Bhardwaj & Gary B. Gorton & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2008. "Fooling Some of the People All of the Time: The Inefficient Performance and Persistence of Commodity Trading Advisors," NBER Working Papers 14424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jian Shi & Thomas C. Chiang & Xiaoli Liang, 2012. "Positive-feedback trading activity and momentum profits," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(3), pages 508-529, May.
- de Groot, Wilma & Pang, Juan & Swinkels, Laurens, 2012.
"The cross-section of stock returns in frontier emerging markets,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 796-818.
- de Groot, W. & Pang, J. & Swinkels, L.A.P., 2012. "The Cross-Section of Stock Returns in Frontier Emerging Markets," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2012-012-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Paul Woolley, 2013.
"An Institutional Theory of Momentum and Reversal,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 26(5), pages 1087-1145.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Paul Woolley, 2008. "An Institutional Theory of Momentum and Reversal," FMG Discussion Papers dp621, Financial Markets Group.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Paul Woolley, 2011. "An institutional Theory of Momentum and Reversal," FMG Discussion Papers dp666, Financial Markets Group.
- Vayanos, Dimitri & Woolley, Paul, 2008. "An Institutional Theory of Momentum and Reversal," CEPR Discussion Papers 7068, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Paul Woolley, 2008. "An Institutional Theory of Momentum and Reversal," NBER Working Papers 14523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Nitschka, 2009. "Momentum in stock market returns, risk premia on foreign currencies and international financial integration," IEW - Working Papers 405, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo, 2009. "On the usefulness of the contrarian strategy across national stock markets: A grid bootstrap analysis," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 734-744, December.
- Chan, Justin S.P. & Hong, Dong & Subrahmanyam, Marti G., 2008. "A tale of two prices: Liquidity and asset prices in multiple markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 947-960, June.
- Karim M. Abadir & Gabriel Talmain, 2012. "Beyond Co-Integration: Modelling Co-Movements in Macro finance," Working Paper Series 25_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Moskowitz, Tobias J. & Ooi, Yao Hua & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2012. "Time series momentum," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 228-250.
- Wu, Yuliang & Li, Youwei, 2011. "Long-term return reversals--Value and growth or tax? UK evidence," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 347-368, July.
- Chiao-Yi Chang, 2013. "Daily momentum profits with firm characteristics and investors’ optimism in the Taiwan market," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 253-273, April.
- Novy-Marx, Robert, 2012. "Is momentum really momentum?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 429-453.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.