Do Boards Affect Performance? Evidence from Corporate Restructuring
AbstractWe examine the effect of board composition on the restructuring activities of a sample of 94 firms that experienced a material decline in performance. We document that firms with a majority of outside directors on the board are more likely to initiate asset restructuring and employee layoffs and that the reduction in the scale of operations is larger for these firms than firms without a majority of outside directors. We also find subsequent improvements in operating performance for firms with a majority of outside directors that restructure and conclude that board composition has a material impact on corporate performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 78 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yuval Deutsch & Mike Valente, 2013. "Compensating Outside Directors with Stock: The Impact on Non-Primary Stakeholders," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 116(1), pages 67-85, August.
- Adams, Renee & Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2009.
"The Role of Boards of Directors in Corporate Governance: A Conceptual Framework and Survey,"
Working Paper Series
2008-21, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Renee B. Adams & Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2010. "The Role of Boards of Directors in Corporate Governance: A Conceptual Framework and Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 48(1), pages 58-107, March.
- Renée Adams & Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2008. "The Role of Boards of Directors in Corporate Governance: A Conceptual Framework and Survey," NBER Working Papers 14486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John R. Graham & Sonali Hazarika & Krishnamoorthy Narasimhan, 2011. "Corporate Governance, Debt, and Investment Policy during the Great Depression," NBER Working Papers 17387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fahlenbrach, Rudiger & Low, Angie & Stulz, Rene, 2008.
"Why Do Firms Appoint CEOs as Outside Directors?,"
Working Paper Series
2008-10, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Aman, Hiroyuki & Nguyen, Pascal, 2008. "Do stock prices reflect the corporate governance quality of Japanese firms?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 647-662, December.
- Easterwood, John C. & İnce, Özgür Ş. & Raheja, Charu G., 2012. "The evolution of boards and CEOs following performance declines," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 727-744.
- Kitsabunnarat-Chatjuthamard, Pattanaporn & Lung, Peter & Nishikawa, Takeshi & Rao, Ramesh P., 2010. "Leverage-reducing exchange offers and bondholder-stockholder wealth transfers: A re-evaluation," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 81-94, January.
- Cheng, Shijun, 2008. "Board size and the variability of corporate performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 157-176, January.
- Cheng, Shijun, 2008. "Perceived importance of corporate boards in October 1987," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 146-155, September.
- Francis, Bill B. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wu, Qiang, 2012. "Do corporate boards matter during the current financial crisis?," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 39-52.
- Allen N. Berger & Thomas Kick & Klaus Schaeck, 2012.
"Executive Board Composition and Bank Risk Taking,"
12004, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Kim, In Joon & Eppler-Kim, Jiyeon & Kim, Wi Saeng & Byun, Suk Joon, 2010. "Foreign investors and corporate governance in Korea," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 390-402, September.
- Oswald, Dennis & Young, Steven, 2008. "Share reacquisitions, surplus cash, and agency problems," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 795-806, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.