The Performance of Internet-Based Business Models: Evidence from the Banking Industry
AbstractThe initial Internet bank startups tended to underperform branching bank startups. This suggested that Internet-only business models were not economically viable for banks. However, firms that pioneer new business models may benefit substantially from experience as they grow older, and firms that use automated production technologies may benefit from scale effects as they grow larger. Econometric analysis of Internet-only bank startups finds strong evidence of the latter, but not the former, effect. The results suggest that Internet-only banking success depends on attaining sufficient scale and strong management practices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 78 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hartmann-Wendels, Thomas & Mählmann, Thomas & Versen, Tobias, 2009. "Determinants of banks' risk exposure to new account fraud - Evidence from Germany," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 347-357, February.
- Ignacio Hernando & María J. Nieto, 2006. "Is the internet delivery channel changing banks' performance? The case of Spanish banks," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0624, Banco de Espa�a.
- Rocco Ciciretti & Iftekhar Hasan & Cristiano Zazzara, 2009. "Do Internet Activities Add Value? Evidence from the Traditional Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 81-98, February.
- Imola Drigă & Dorina Niţă & Codruţa Dura, 2009. "Aspects Regarding Internet Banking Services in Romania," Annals of the University of Petrosani, Economics, University of Petrosani, Romania, vol. 9(3), pages 239-248.
- Nenovski, Tome & Delova Jolevska, Evica & Andovski, Ilija, 2011. "Banking services in terms of changing environment: the case of Macedonia," MPRA Paper 45929, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hernando, Ignacio & Nieto, Maria J., 2007. "Is the Internet delivery channel changing banks' performance? The case of Spanish banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 1083-1099, April.
- Robert DeYoung & William Hunter & Gregory Udell, 2004.
"The Past, Present, and Probable Future for Community Banks,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 85-133, April.
- Robert DeYoung & William C. Hunter & Gregory F. Udell, 2003. "The past, present, and probable future for community banks," Working Paper Series WP-03-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gayle DeLong & Robert DeYoung, 2004. "Learning by observing: information spillovers in the execution and valuation of commercial bank M&As," Working Paper Series WP-04-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Zhu Wang, 2005.
"Technological innovation and market turbulence: the dot-com experience,"
Payments System Research Working Paper
PSR WP 05-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Zhu Wang, 2007. "Technological Innovation and Market Turbulence: The Dot-com Experience," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 10(1), pages 78-105, January.
- W. Scott Frame & Lawrence J. White, 2009.
"Technological Change, Financial Innovation, and Diffusion in Banking,"
09-03, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- W. Scott Frame & Lawrence J. White, 2009. "Technological change, financial innovation, and diffusion in banking," Working Paper 2009-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Arnold, Ivo J.M. & van Ewijk, Saskia E., 2011. "Can pure play internet banking survive the credit crisis?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 783-793, April.
- Richard Sullivan & Zhu Wang, 2013.
"Internet banking: an exploration in technology diffusion and impact,"
13-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Richard J. Sullivan & Zhu Wang, 2005. "Internet banking: an exploration in technology diffusion and impact," Payments System Research Working Paper PSR WP 05-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- DeYoung, Robert & Lang, William W. & Nolle, Daniel L., 2007. "How the Internet affects output and performance at community banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 1033-1060, April.
- Cyree, Ken B., 2010. "What do bank acquirers value in non-public bank mergers and acquisitions?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 341-351, August.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Heiko Schmiedel & Liang Song, 2012.
"Returns to Retail Banking and Payments,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 163-195, June.
- Ken Cyree & Natalya Delcoure & Ross Dickens, 2009. "An examination of the performance and prospects for the future of internet-primary banks," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 128-147, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.