Bank Consolidation and the Dynamics of Consumer Loan Interest Rates
AbstractThis paper analyzes interest rates quoted by individual banks for personal and automobile loans in 10 cities. Personal loan rates are higher in concentrated markets, and banks involved in mergers reduce personal rates relative to their competitors prior to the merger's completion. This is consistent with mergers changing the size structure of personal loan markets and merger participants' desire to gain regulatory approval. Auto rates are unaffected by local concentration and mergers, suggesting that their market is nationwide. Rates for both loan types respond asymmetrically to changes in Treasury rates, being more sensitive to a rise than a fall.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 78 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David S. Scharfstein & Adi Sunderam, 2013. "Concentration in Mortgage Lending, Refinancing Activity and Mortgage Rates," NBER Working Papers 19156, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Schmiedel, Heiko & Song, Liang, 2009.
"Return to retail banking and payments,"
Working Paper Series
1135, European Central Bank.
- Pérez Montes, Carlos, 2014. "The effect on competition of banking sector consolidation following the financial crisis of 2008," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 124-136.
- Amidu, Mohammed & Wolfe, Simon, 2013. "The effect of banking market structure on the lending channel: Evidence from emerging markets," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 146-157.
- Roy Cerqueti, 2012. "Financing policies via stochastic control: a dynamic programming approach," Journal of Global Optimization, Springer, vol. 53(3), pages 539-561, July.
- Robert Adams & Richard Johnson & Steven Pilloff, 2009. "Market Structure after Horizontal Mergers: Evidence from the Banking Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 217-231, November.
- Lili Xie, 2007. "Bank Consolidation and Loan Pricing," Working Papers 200706, Ball State University, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2007.
- Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Mannthos & Iosifidi, Maria, 2012. "Bank market power and monetary policy transmission," MPRA Paper 49206, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erel, Isil, 2007. "The Effect of Bank Mergers on Loan Prices: Evidence from the U.S," Working Paper Series 2006-19, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Simone Miyuki Hirakawa & Rodrigo De Losso da Silveira Bueno, 2011. "Does location matter toexplain loan interest rates? Evidence from Brazilian local bankingmarkets," Anais do XXXVII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 37th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 127, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.