What Is Special about the Roles of Underwriter Reputation and Market Activities in Initial Public Offerings?
AbstractThis article examines the interaction between underwriter reputation and market activities during the initial public offering (IPO) process. Underwriter reputation is a significant determinant of premarket underwriter activities, weakly related to aftermarket price stabilization activities, and unrelated to issuer returns. Premarket underwriter activities are a significant determinant of issue-date returns and aftermarket underwriter activities but are unrelated to longer-run returns. Aftermarket underwriter activities are significantly related to longer-run returns. The results suggest that simultaneous consideration of underwriter reputation and market activities is important if proper inferences about the IPO process and investor returns are to be drawn. Copyright 2002 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 75 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jones, Travis L. & Ligon, James A., 2009. "The day of the week effect in IPO initial returns," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 110-127, February.
- Carter, Richard B. & Dark, Frederick H. & Sapp, Travis R.A., 2010. "Underwriter reputation and IPO issuer alignment 1981-2005," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 443-455, November.
- Kedar S. Kulkarni & Tarun Sabarwal, 2004.
"To what extent are investment bank-differentiating factors relevant for firms floating moderate-sized IPOs?,"
0410005, EconWPA, revised 04 Mar 2005.
- Kedar Kulkarni & Tarun Sabarwal, 2007. "To what extent are investment bank-differentiating factors relevant for firms floating moderate-sized IPOs?," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 297-327, July.
- Oehler, Andreas & Rummer, Marco & Smith, Peter N., 2004.
"IPO Pricing and the Relative Importance of Investor Sentiment: Evidence from Germany,"
26, University of Bamberg, Chair of Finance.
- Marco Rummer & Andreas Oehler & Peter N. Smith, 2004. "IPO Pricing and the Relative Importance of Investor Sentiment: Evidence from Germany," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 62, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Andres, Christian & Betzer, André & Limbach, Peter, 2014. "Underwriter reputation and the quality of certification: Evidence from high-yield bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 97-115.
- David Williams & W. Duncan & Peter Ginter, 2010. "Testing a model of signals in the IPO offer process," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 445-463, May.
- Mudambi, Ram & Treichel, Monica Zimmerman, 2005. "Cash crisis in newly public Internet-based firms: an empirical analysis," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 543-571, July.
- Bengtsson, Ola & Dai, Na, 2013. "Financial Contracts in PIPE Offerings: The Role of Expert Placement Agents," Knut Wicksell Working Paper Series 2013/7, Knut Wicksell Centre for Financial Studies, Lund University.
- Alan Hughes & Jaeho Lee, 2006. "What's in a name and when does it matter? The hot and cold market impacts on underpricing of certification, reputation and conflicts of interest in venture capital backed Korean IPOs," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp336, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Trauten, Andreas, 2004. "Zur Effizienz von Wertpapieremissionen über Internetplattformen," Working Papers 8, Competence Center Internet Economy and Hybrid Systems, European Research Center for Information Systems (ERCIS), University of Münster.
- Su, Chen & Brookfield, David, 2013. "An evaluation of the impact of stock market reforms on IPO under-pricing in China: The certification role of underwriters," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 20-33.
- Cho, Jaemin & Lee, Jaeho, 2013. "The venture capital certification role in R&D: Evidence from IPO underpricing in Korea," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 83-108.
- Daniels, Kenneth N. & Vijayakumar, Jayaraman, 2007. "Does underwriter reputation matter in the municipal bond market?," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 59(6), pages 500-519.
- Christian Andres & André Betzer & Peter Limbach, 2013. "Underwriter Reputation and the Quality of Certification: Evidence from High-Yield Bonds," Schumpeter Discussion Papers SDP13006, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Beat Reber & Bob Berry & Steve Toms, 2005. "Firm resources and quality signalling: evidence from UK initial public offerings," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(8), pages 575-586.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.