Visibility versus Complexity in Business Groups: Evidence from Japanese Keiretsu
AbstractIn this article, we examine the potential for external conflicts in large, diversified business groups. On the one hand, these highly visible groups facilitate the detection of opportunistic actions. Accordingly, reputational concerns should effectively constrain group behavior. On the other hand, these groups' complexities hinder outsiders from unveiling group strategies from among a myriad of transactions. This complexity limits the power of reputational concerns to constrain actions. Using data on initial public offer initial returns, we evaluate the trade-off between visibility and complexity. The evidence suggests that complexity dominates visibility, providing scope for opportunistic behavior against outside investors. Copyright 2001 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 74 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mehdi Nekhili & Dhikra Chebbi Nekhili & Nicolas Vaillant, 2009. "What matters more in R&D and Capital Expenditures Financing by Japanese Firms:Multinationality or Bank Affiliation?," Working Papers CREGO 1090103, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Manos, Ronny & Murinde, Victor & Green, Christopher J., 2012. "Dividend policy and business groups: Evidence from Indian firms," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 42-56.
- Marisetty, Vijaya B. & Subrahmanyam, Marti G., 2010. "Group affiliation and the performance of IPOs in the Indian stock market," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 196-223, February.
- Kaneko, Takashi & Pettway, Richard H., 2003. "Auctions versus book building of Japanese IPOs," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 439-462, September.
- Beckman, Judy & Garner, Jacqueline & Marshall, Beverly & Okamura, Hideo, 2001. "The influence of underwriter reputation, keiretsu affiliation, and financial health on the underpricing of Japanese IPOs," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 513-534, November.
- Kenneth A. Kim & John R. Nofsinger, 2005.
"Institutional Herding, Business Groups, and Economic Regimes: Evidence from Japan,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 213-242, January.
- Kim, Kenneth A. & Nofsinger, John R., 2001. "Institutional Herding, Business Groups, and Economic Regimes: Evidence from Japan," CEI Working Paper Series 2001-16, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kali, Raja & Sarkar, Jayati, 2011. "Diversification and tunneling: Evidence from Indian business groups," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 349-367, September.
- Sandra Dow & Jean McGuire & Toru Yoshikawa, 2011. "Disaggregating the group effect: Vertical and horizontal keiretsu in changing economic times," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 299-323, June.
- Jean McGuire & Sandra Dow, 2009. "Japanese keiretsu: Past, present, future," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 333-351, June.
- María J. Nieto & Gregorio Serna, 2002. "On The Relationship Between A Banks Equity Holdings And Bank Performance," Business Economics Working Papers wb026322, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Manos, Ronny & Murinde, Victor & Green, Christopher J., 2007. "Leverage and business groups: Evidence from Indian firms," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 443-465.
- Laurence Loulmet, 2004. "Le discrédit des banques et l’impact des réformes au Japon," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 75(2), pages 263-290.
- Michael Carney, 2008. "The many futures of Asian business groups," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 595-613, December.
- Deb, Saikat Sovan & Marisetty, Vijaya B., 2010. "Information content of IPO grading," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2294-2305, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.