Economic Forces, Fundamental Variables, and Equity Returns
AbstractWe investigate whether size and book-to-market values of equity are proxying for macroeconomic risks found in Chen, Roll, and Ross's multifactor model or are measures of stocks' risk exposure to relative distress. We find that the role of size subsumes stocks' risk exposures associated with the Chen, Roll, and Ross's factors and that the Chen, Roll, and Ross's multifactor model does not explain the book-to-market values of equity effect. We also find that size and book-to-market values of equity are related to relative distress and that relative distress can explain the size effect, but only partially the effect of book-to-market values of equity, on average stock returns. Copyright 1994 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 67 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mohanty, Sunil & Nandha, Mohan & Habis, Essam & Juhabi, Eid, 2014. "Oil price risk exposure: The case of the U.S. Travel and Leisure Industry," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 117-124.
- Erie Febrian & Aldrin Herwany, 2009. "The Performance Of Asset Pricing Models Before, During, And After Financial Crisis In Emerging Market: Evidence From Indonesia," Working Papers in Business, Management and Finance 200902, Department of Management and Business, Padjadjaran University, revised Feb 2009.
- Uluc Aysun & Melanie Guldi, 2008. "Increasing Derivatives Market Activity in Emerging Markets and Exchange Rate Exposure," Working papers 2008-06, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2008.
- Smimou, K., 2011. "Transition to the Euro and its impact on country portfolio diversification," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 88-103, January.
- Antonio Roma, 2006. "Common factors and balance sheet structure of major European banks," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 59(237), pages 123-170.
- Ewing, Bradley T., 2001. "Cross-Effects of Fundamental State Variables," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 633-645, October.
- Aretz, Kevin & Bartram, Söhnke M. & Pope, Peter F., 2010.
"Macroeconomic risks and characteristic-based factor models,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1383-1399, June.
- Aretz, Kevin & Bartram, Söhnke M. & Pope, Peter F., 2010. "Macroeconomic Risks and Characteristic-Based Factor Models," MPRA Paper 47344, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohammed Bouaddi & Abderrahim Taamouti, 2012. "Portfolio risk management in a data-rich environment," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 469-494, December.
- Antonio Roma, 2006. "Common factors and balance sheet structure of major European banks," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 59(237), pages 123-170.
- Mohanty, Roshni & P, Srinivasan, 2014. "The Time-Varying Risk and Return Trade Off in Indian Stock Markets," MPRA Paper 55660, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ewing, Bradley T., 2003. "The response of the default risk premium to macroeconomic shocks," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 261-272.
- Zhou, Guofu, 1999. "Security factors as linear combinations of economic variables," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 403-432, November.
- Ewing, Bradley T. & Payne, James E., 2005. "The response of real estate investment trust returns to macroeconomic shocks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 293-300, March.
- Elvio Accinelli & Leobardo Plata & Joss Sánchez, 2011. "Characterization of solutions for bankruptcy problems," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1911, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Michailidis, G., 2009. "Multivariate methods in examining macroeconomic variables effect on Greek stock market returns, 1997-2004," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.