Market Timing, Selectivity, and Mutual Fund Performance: An Empirical Investigation
AbstractThis article empirically examines market timing and selectivity performance of a sample of mutual funds. It uses a very simple regression technique to separate stock selection ability from timing ability. This technique, first suggested by Treynor and Mazuy and later refined by Bhattacharya and Pfleiderer, uses a modified security-market line approach to produce individual measures of timing and stock selection ability. The inputs to the model are only the returns earned on the fund and those earned on the market portfolio. The empirical results indicate that at the individual fund level there is some evidence of superior micro- and macroforecasting ability on the part of the fund manager. Copyright 1990 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 63 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Patro, Dilip Kumar, 2001. "Measuring performance of international closed-end funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1741-1767, September.
- Bangassa, Kenbata & Su, Chen & Joseph, Nathan L., 2012. "Selectivity and timing performance of UK investment trusts," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 1149-1175.
- Romacho, Joao Carlos & Cortez, Maria Ceu, 2006. "Timing and selectivity in Portuguese mutual fund performance," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 348-368, September.
- Lo, Andrew W. & Mackinlay, A. Craig, 1997.
"Maximizing Predictability In The Stock And Bond Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 102-134, January.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1995. "Maximizing Predictability in the Stock and Bond Markets," NBER Working Papers 5027, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan) & MacKinlay, Archie Craig, 1955-, 1992. "Maximizing predictability in the stock and bond markets," Working papers 3450-92., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Michael E. Drew & Madhu Veeraraghavan & Vanessa Wilson, 2002. "Market Timing and Selectivity: Evidence from Australian Equity Superannuation Funds," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 105, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Chen, Li-Wen & Adams, Andrew & Taffler, Richard, 2013. "What style-timing skills do mutual fund “stars” possess?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 156-173.
- Su-Jane Chen & Ming-Hsiang Chen, 2009. "Discount Rate Changes and Market Timing: A Multinational Study," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 10(2), pages 329-349, November.
- Holmes, Kathryn A. & Faff, Robert, 2008. "Estimating the performance attributes of Australian multi-sector managed funds within a dynamic Kalman filter framework," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 998-1011, December.
- Pin-Huang Chou & Robert P. Parks, 1993. "A Further Re-Examination of the Contrarian Investment Strategy: Evidence from Multivariate Tests," Finance 9307001, EconWPA, revised 25 Jul 1993.
- Volkman, David A. & Wohar, Mark E., 1996. "Abnormal profits and relative strength in mutual fund returns," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 101-116.
- Prather, Laurie & Bertin, William J., 1998. "The implication of discount rate changes for market timing," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 21-33.
- Cuthbertson, Keith & Nitzsche, Dirk, 2013. "Performance, stock selection and market timing of the German equity mutual fund industry," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 86-101.
- Meredith Beechey & David Gruen & James Vickery, 2000. "The Efficient Market Hypothesis: A Survey," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2000-01, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Chacko, George & Das, Sanjiv Ranjan, 1999. "A theory of optimal timing and selectivity," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 929-965, June.
- Friesen, Geoffrey C. & Sapp, Travis R.A., 2007. "Mutual fund flows and investor returns: An empirical examination of fund investor timing ability," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2796-2816, September.
- Benson, Karen L. & Faff, Robert W., 2003. "A performance analysis of Australian international equity trusts," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 69-84, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.