Contract Costs and Financing Decisions
AbstractLike bondholders, most agents contract for fixed payoffs. Thus, corporate capital structures, which are less than 50 percent debt, are less levered than overall contract structures, in which about 90 percent of total flows are fixed payoffs. The hypothesis analyzed here is that loans and bonds lower contract costs by delegating the monitoring and bonding of the default risks of fixed payoffs to credible specialists (financial intermediaries, bond-holder trustees, rating agencies, and auditors). Other agents can then focus on their specialties, that is, efficient supply of labor, materials, and other services, and the contract problems of these specialties. Copyright 1990 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 63 (1990)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francesco Corielli & Stefano Gatti & Alessandro Steffanoni, 2010. "Risk Shifting through Nonfinancial Contracts: Effects on Loan Spreads and Capital Structure of Project Finance Deals," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(7), pages 1295-1320, October.
- Longhofer, Stanley D. & Santos, Joao A. C., 2000.
"The Importance of Bank Seniority for Relationship Lending,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 57-89, January.
- João A. C. Santos & Stanley D. Longhofer, 1998. "The importance of bank seniority for relationship lending," BIS Working Papers 58, Bank for International Settlements.
- Stanley D. Longhofer & João A. C. Santos, 1999. "The importance of bank seniority for relationship lending," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago 620, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stanley D. Longhofer & João A.C. Santos, 1998. "The importance of bank seniority for relationship lending," Working Paper 9808, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1994.
"Monetary Policy and Bank Lending,"
in: Monetary Policy, pages 221-261
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bülent Köksal & Cüneyt Orman, 2014.
"Determinants of Capital Structure: Evidence from a Major Developing Economy,"
- Bulent Koksal & Cuneyt Orman, 2014. "Determinants of Capital Structure : Evidence from a Major Developing Economy," Working Papers 1426, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Zingales, Luigi, 2000.
"In Search of New Foundations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
2551, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Zingales, 2000. "In Search of New Foundations," NBER Working Papers 7706, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luigi Zingales, 2000. "In Search of New Foundations," CRSP working papers, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago 515, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Dailami, Mansoor & Hauswald, Robert, 2007. "Credit-spread determinants and interlocking contracts: A study of the Ras Gas project," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 248-278, October.
- TSURUTA Daisuke & Peng XU, 2007. "Debt Structure and Bankruptcy of Financially Distressed Small Businesses," Discussion papers, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) 07032, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- John Armour, 2006. "Should we redistribute in insolvency," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers, ESRC Centre for Business Research wp319, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Dailami, Mansoor & Hauswald, Robert, 2003. "The emerging project bond market - covenant provisions and credit spreads," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3095, The World Bank.
- A.O. Olakunle & P.L. Jones, 2014. "Assessing the Impact of Size on the Capital Structure Choice for Listed Nigeria Firms," International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Scien, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, vol. 4(7), pages 184-202, July.
- Beatty, Anne & Liao, Scott & Weber, Joseph, 2012. "Evidence on the determinants and economic consequences of delegated monitoring," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 555-576.
- Gérard Charreaux, 1996. "Vers une théorie du gouvernement des entreprises," Working Papers CREGO, UniversitÃ© de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations 0960501, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2002. "Incremental cash flows, information sets and conflicts of interest," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo., Universidad del CEMA 220, Universidad del CEMA.
- Dailami, Mansoor & Hauswald, Robert, 2001. "Contract risks and credit spread determinants in the international project bond market," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2712, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.