Some Further Evidence on the Stochastic Properties of Systematic Risk
AbstractAlthough there is consensus in the finance literature that the beta risk of equity securities is stochastic, there is considerable disagreement as to whether the var iation is purely random or exhibits autocorrelation through time. To investigate this issue, the authors employ a model that allows beta t o exhibit both random and autoregressive behavior simultaneously. The y test this model against alternative specifications on a large sampl e of individual securities and randomly formed portfolios comprising 10, 50, and 100 securities. Results are also presented for portfolios formed according to firm size. Copyright 1987 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 60 (1987)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tusell Palmer, Fernando Jorge & Esteban González, María Victoria, 2009. "Predicting Betas: Two new methods," BILTOKI 2009-01, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Brooks, Robert D. & Faff, Robert W. & Yew, Kee Ho, 1997. "A new test of the relationship between regulatory change in financial markets and the stability of beta risk of depository institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 197-219, February.
- António Rua & Luís Catela Nunes, 2012.
"A wavelet-based assessment of market risk: The emerging markets case,"
w201203, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Rua, António & Nunes, Luis C., 2012. "A wavelet-based assessment of market risk: The emerging markets case," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 84-92.
- Abu Taher Mollik & M. Khokan Bepari, 2010. "Instability of stock beta in Dhaka Stock Exchange, Bangladesh," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(10), pages 886-902, October.
- Brailsford, Timothy J. & Josev, Thomas, 1997. "The impact of the return interval on the estimation of systematic risk," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 357-376, July.
- Panagiotis Samartzis & Nikitas Pittis & Nikolaos Kourogenis & Phoebe Koundouri, . "Factor Models of Stock Returns: GARCH Errors versus Autoregressive Betas," DEOS Working Papers 1318, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Sascha Mergner & Jan Bulla, 2005.
"Time-varying Beta Risk of Pan-European Industry Portfolios: A Comparison of Alternative Modeling Techniques,"
- Sascha Mergner & Jan Bulla, 2008. "Time-varying beta risk of Pan-European industry portfolios: A comparison of alternative modeling techniques," European Journal of Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(8), pages 771-802.
- McKenzie, Michael D. & Brooks, Robert D. & Faff, Robert W. & Ho, Yew Kee, 2000. "Exploring the economic rationale of extremes in GARCH generated betas The case of U.S. banks," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 85-106.
- Markus Ebner & Thorsten Neumann, 2005. "Time-Varying Betas of German Stock Returns," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 29-46, June.
- Brooks, Robert D. & Faff, Robert W. & Ariff, Mohamed, 1998. "An investigation into the extent of beta instability in the Singapore stock market," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 87-101, May.
- Gordon Newlove Asamoah & Anthony Quartey-Papafio, 2011. "Beta risk estimation of companies listed on the Ghana stock exchange," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 195-207, May.
- Malevergne, Y. & Sornette, D., 2007.
"Self-consistent asset pricing models,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 382(1), pages 149-171.
- Mattia Ciprian & Stefano d'Addona, 2005.
"Time Varying Sensitivities on a GRID architecture,"
- Stefano D'Addona & Mattia Ciprian, 2007. "Time Varying Sensitivities On A Grid Architecture," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(02), pages 307-329.
- Carl Chiarella & Roberto Dieci & Xue-Zhong He, 2010. "Time-Varying Beta: A Boundedly Rational Equilibrium Approach," Research Paper Series 275, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- R. D. Brooks & R. W. Faff & M. McKenzie, 2002. "Time varying country risk: an assessment of alternative modelling techniques," European Journal of Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 249-274.
- Keith Lam, 1999. "Some evidence on the distribution of beta in Hong Kong," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 251-262.
- Sascha Mergner, 2005. "Time-varying Beta Risk of Pan-European Sectors: A Comparison of Alternative Modeling Techniques," Finance 0509024, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.