On the Cyclicality of R&D
AbstractWe explore the link between short-run cycles and long-run growth by examining the cyclicality of R&D. Existing theories propose that R&D is concentrated when output is low, but aggregate data repeatedly show that R&D appears procyclical. We estimate the relationship between R&D and output using an annual panel of twenty U.S. manufacturing industries from 1958 to 1998. The results indicate that R&D is in fact procyclical, but, interestingly, estimates using demand-shift instruments suggest that it responds asymmetrically to demand shocks. We propose that liquidity constraint is an important cause for the observed procyclicality of R&D. © 2011 The President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 93 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Artuc, Erhan & Pourpourides, Panayiotis M., 2012.
"R&D and aggregate fluctuations,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6017, The World Bank.
- Erhan Artuc & Panayiotis M. Pourpourides, 2012. "R&D and Aggregate Fluctuations," Working Papers 2012-01, Central Bank of Cyprus.
- Artuç, Erhan & Pourpourides, Panayiotis M., 2012. "R&D and Aggregate Fluctuations," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2012/2, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Min Ouyang, 2010. "Virtue of Bad Times and Financial Market Frictions," Working Papers 101103, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Pilar Beneito & María E. Rochina-Barrachina & Amparo Sanchis, 2013. "Ownership and cyclicality of firms’ R&D investment," Working Papers 1306, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Christian Rammer, 2011.
"Auswirkungen der Wirtschaftskrise auf die Innovationstätigkeit der Unternehmen in Deutschland,"
Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research,
DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 80(3), pages 13-34.
- Rammer, Christian, 2011. "Auswirkungen der Wirtschaftskrise auf die Innovationstätigkeit der Unternehmen in Deutschland," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-070, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Paloma López-García & José Manuel Montero & Enrique Moral-Benito, 2012. "Business cycles and investment in intangibles: evidence from Spanish firms," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1219, Banco de Espa�a.
- Christopher J. Nekarda & Valerie A. Ramey, 2011.
"Industry Evidence on the Effects of Government Spending,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 36-59, January.
- Christopher J. Nekarda & Valerie A. Ramey, 2010. "Industry evidence on the effects of government spending," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2010-28, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christopher J. Nekarda & Valerie A. Ramey, 2010. "Industry Evidence on the Effects of Government Spending," NBER Working Papers 15754, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander Eickelpasch, 2014. "R&D Behavior of German Manufacturing Companies during the 2008/09 Recession," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1357, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Bettina Becker, 2013. "The Determinants of R&D Investment: A Survey of the Empirical Research," Discussion Paper Series 2013_09, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Sep 2013.
- Adam S. Posen, 2010. "The Central Banker's Case for Doing More," Policy Briefs PB10-24, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Georgios Efthyvoulou & Priit Vahter, 2012. "Financial Constraints, Innovation Performance, and Sectoral Disaggregation," Working Papers 2012030, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics.
- Hud, Martin & Hussinger, Katrin, 2014. "The impact of R&D subsidies during the crisis," ZEW Discussion Papers 14-024, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Sultan Mehmood, 2013. "Access to External Finance and Innovation: A Macroeconomic Perspective," CPB Discussion Paper 218, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.