Measuring the NAIRU with Reduced Uncertainty: A Multiple-Indicator Common-Cycle Approach
AbstractStandard estimates of the NAIRU or natural rate of unemployment are subject to considerable uncertainty. We show in this paper that using multiple indicators to extract an estimated NAIRU cuts in half uncertainty as measured by variance and gives a 33% reduction in the confidence band. The inclusion of an Okun's Law relation is particularly valuable. The essential notion is the existence of a common cyclical force driving the macroeconomic variables. Model comparisons based on the use of Bayes factors favor the idea of a common cyclical component. Copyright by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 90 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guillén, Osmani Teixeira de Carvalho & Hecq, Alain & Issler, João Victor & Saraiva, Diogo, 2013. "Forecasting multivariate time series under present-value-model short- and long-run co-movement restrictions," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 742, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Kajuth, Florian, 2012. "Identifying the Phillips curve through shifts in volatility," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 975-991.
- Xiaoshan Chen & Terence Mills, 2012. "Measuring the Euro area output gap using a multivariate unobserved components model containing phase shifts," Empirical Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 671-692, October.
- Osmani Teixeira de Carvalho Guillén & Alain Hecq & João Victor Issler & Diogo Saraiva, 2013. "Time Series under Present-Value-Model Short- and Long-run Co-movement Restrictions," Working Papers Series, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department 330, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Ferreira, Pedro Cavalcanti & Pessôa, Samuel & Santos, Marcelo dos, 2014. "Globalization and the Industrial Revolution," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 753, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Tucker S. McElroy & Thomas M. Trimbur, 2012. "Signal extraction for nonstationary multivariate time series with illustrations for trend inflation," Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 2012-45, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.