Quantitative Analysis of Network Externalities in Competing Technologies: The VCR Case
AbstractWe develop a dynamic structural model of consumers' choices and producers' pricing in an oligopolistic market for newly introduced durable products with network externalities. The model is then applied to empirically analyze the de facto standardization of the VHS format in the U.S. home VCR market during 1981-1988. We find: (i) the network advantage of VHS explains at least 70.3% to 86.8% of (the logarithm of) relative sales of VHS to Betamax in each year; (ii) an increase in the network advantage of VHS was an engine of tipping toward the VHS format; and (iii) in the early 1980s, the network advantage of VHS was mainly due to its expected growth advantage. © 2004 President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 86 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Binken, J.L.G. & Stremersch, S., 2008. "The Effect of Superstar Software on Hardware Sales in System Markets," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2008-025-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Gretz, Richard T., 2010. "Hardware quality vs. network size in the home video game industry," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 168-183, November.
- Marc Rysman & Gautam Gowrisankaran & Minsoo Park, 2011. "Measuring Network Effects in a Dynamic Environment," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2011-061, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Feng, Yao, 2011. "Local spillovers and learning from neighbors: Evidence from durable adoptions in rural China," MPRA Paper 33924, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rong, Zhao, 2011. "Free riding and durable adoption: a test of color television consumption in rural China," MPRA Paper 33434, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Dahl Winther, 2007. "Optimal research effort and product differentiation in network industries," Economics Working Papers 2007-19, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Jongsu Lee & Jae Young Choi & Youngsang Cho, 2009. "A Forecast Simulation Analysis of the Next-Generation DVD Market Based on Consumer Preference Data," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200933, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Nov 2009.
- Juan Esteban Carranza, 2010.
"Product Innovation and Adoption in Market Equilibrium: The Case of Digital Cameras,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMÃA Y FINANZAS
007127, UNIVERSIDAD ICESI.
- Carranza, Juan Esteban, 2010. "Product innovation and adoption in market equilibrium: The case of digital cameras," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 604-618, November.
- Mak, Vincent & Zwick, Rami, 2010. "Investment decisions and coordination problems in a market with network externalities: An experimental study," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 759-773, December.
- Salvador Navarro, 2011. "Using Observed Choices to Infer Agent's Information: Reconsidering the Importance of Borrowing Constraints, Uncertainty and Preferences in College Attendance," University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers 20118, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Szabolcs Lorincz, 2005. "Persistence Effects in a Dynamic Discrete Choice Model - Application to Low-End Computer Servers," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0510, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Richard Gretz, 2010. "Console Price and Software Availability in the Home Video Game Industry," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 38(1), pages 81-94, March.
- Corts, Kenneth S. & Lederman, Mara, 2009. "Software exclusivity and the scope of indirect network effects in the U.S. home video game market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 121-136, March.
- Pinar Karaca-Mandic, 2011. "Role of complementarities in technology adoption: The case of DVD players," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 179-210, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.