Pharmaceutical Pricing in a Regulated Market
AbstractWe compare how new pharmaceuticals are priced in the price-regulated Swedish market with how they are priced in the U.S. market, as studied by Lu and Comanor (1998). We collect a data set consisting of all new chemical entities (NCEs) launched in Sweden between 1987 and 1997, and test the same models as Lu and Comanor. In line with their results, we find that introductory prices depend on the degree of therapeutic innovation. Contrary to the results from the U.S. market, Swedish real prices for NCEs fall substantially over time for all classes of therapeutic innovation. Also contrary to the findings of Lu and Comanor, we find no effect of the presence of branded substitutes on either introduction prices or price dynamics. Our results indicate that the price regulation discourages price competition between brandname drugs. © 2003 President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 85 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nebibe Varol & Joan Costa-i-Font & Alistair McGuire, 2011. "Does Pharmaceutical Price Regulation Affect the Adoption of Generic Competition? Evidence from the OECD, 1999-2008," CESifo Working Paper Series 3441, CESifo Group Munich.
- Liu, Ya-Ming & Yang, Yea-Huei Kao & Hsieh, Chee-Ruey, 2012. "Regulation and competition in the Taiwanese pharmaceutical market under national health insurance," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 471-483.
- Shin-Yun Wang & Chih-Chiang Hwang, 2011. "Application of options to the pharmaceutical markets: The solutions of corruption and counterfeit drugs in emerging markets," International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(2), pages 169-181, June.
- Cabiedes Miragaya, Laura, 2013. "Nuevas perspectivas sobre el precio de los medicamentos: El caso español/New Perspectives on Drug Pricing: The Spanish Case," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 31, pages 397-416, Septiembr.
- Grönqvist, Erik & Lundin, Douglas, 2006.
"Incentives for Clinical Trials,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
636, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Fernando Antoñanzas & Carmelo Juárez-Castelló & Roberto Rodríguez-Ibeas, 2011. "Innovation, loyalty and generic competition in pharmaceutical markets," SERIEs, Spanish Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 75-95, March.
- Ivan Moreno-Torres, 2011. "What if there was a stronger pharmaceutical price competition in Spain? When regulation has a similar effect to collusion," Working Papers XREAP2011-02, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised May 2011.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Eric L. Keuffel, 2013. "Regulation of the Pharmaceutical-Biotechnology Industry," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Regulation and Its Reform: What Have We Learned? National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Iván Moreno-Torres & Jaume Puig-Junoy & Joan-Ramon Borrell, 2009. "Generic Entry into the Regulated Spanish Pharmaceutical Market," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 373-388, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.