Branch Banking And The Geography Of Bank Pricing
AbstractWe show that bank branching tends to mitigate localized market power by broadening the geographic scope of competition among banks, even though branch banking allows banks to differentiate themselves through their choices of branch locations. Banking services at peripheral locations will be priced more competitively when those locales are served by branch networks. We develop a theoretical model in support of this view and offer empirical evidence. © 1998 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technolog
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 80 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Manuela Croci & Alberto Zazzaro, 2005.
"The geography of banking power: role of function distance,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 58(235), pages 129-167.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Manuela Croci & Alberto Zazzaro, 2005. "The geography of banking power: role of function distance," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 58(235), pages 129-167.
- Hester Donald D. & Calcagnini Giorgio & De Bonis Riccardo, 2001.
"Competition Through Innovation: ATMs in Italian Banks,"
Rivista italiana degli economisti,
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 359-382.
- Hester,D.D. & Calcagnini,G. & Bonis,R. de, 1999. "Competition through innovation : ATMs in Italian banks," Working papers 27, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Pietro ALESSANDRINI & Luca PAPI & Alberto ZAZZARO, 2002.
"Banche, territorio e sviluppo,"
175, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Kendall, Jake, 2009.
"Local financial development and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4838, The World Bank.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Toivanen, Otto, 2004.
"Monitoring and market power in credit markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 269-288, February.
- Ari Hyytinen & Otto Toivanen, 2000. "Monitoring and Market Power in Credit Markets," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1879, Econometric Society.
- C. Okeahalam, 2008. "Does Bancassurance Reduce the Price of Financial Service Products?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 147-162, June.
- Bostic, Raphael W. & Robinson, Breck L., 2004. "The impact of CRA agreements on community banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 3069-3095, December.
- Evren Örs & Tara Rice, 2006. "Bank imputed interest rates: unbiased estimates of offered rates?," Working Paper Series WP-06-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Claudia M. Buch, 2000. "Financial Market Integration in the US: Lessons for Europe?," Kiel Working Papers 1004, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Evren Damar, H., 2007. "Does post-crisis restructuring decrease the availability of banking services? The case of Turkey," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2886-2905, September.
- Bhattacharya, Utpal & Groznik, Peter, 2008. "Melting pot or salad bowl: Some evidence from U.S. investments abroad," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 228-258, August.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Luca Papi & Alberto Zazzaro, 2003.
"Banks, regions and development,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 56(224), pages 23-55.
- Carol Ann Northcott, 2004. "Competition in Banking: A Review of the Literature," Working Papers 04-24, Bank of Canada.
- Örs, Evren & Rice, Tara, 2007. "Bank Imputed Interest Rates: Unbiased Estimates of Offered Rates?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6036, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.