Firm Efficiency and the Regulatory Closure of S&Ls: An Empirical Investigation
AbstractThis paper uses a two-step methodology to examine the relationship between firm inefficiency and the regulatory closure of savings and loans (S&Ls). In the first step, using multiproduct, translog stochastic cost frontiers, the authors estimate inefficiency scores separately for mutual and stock S&Ls operating in the Southwest in 1988. They use the inefficiency scores in second step logit models to identify determinants of regulatory closure. For both mutual and stock S&Ls, the authors find a significant positive relationship between firm inefficiency and regulatory closure. They also find a greater probability of closure for S&Ls in economically depressed states. Copyright 1993 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 75 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Donald Vitaliano & Gregory Stella, 2006.
"The cost of Corporate Social Responsibility: the case of the Community Reinvestment Act,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 235-244, December.
- Donald F. Vitaliano & Gregory Stella, 2004. "The Cost of Corporate Social Responsibility: The Case of the Community Reinvestment Act," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0412, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Iftekhar Hasan & William C. Hunter, 1996. "Management efficiency in minority- and women-owned banks," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Mar, pages 20-28.
- Zaghla, Abdessalem & Boujelbene, Younes, 2008.
"Les Facteurs Explicatifs d'Efficience-X Dans Les Banques Tunisiennes : Une Approche De Frontière Stochastique
[Explanatory Factors of X-Efficiency In The Tunisian Banks: A Stochastic Frontier Appr," MPRA Paper 12437, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chen, Yu-Chuan & Chiu, Yung-Ho & Huang, Chin-Wei & Tu, Chien Heng, 2013. "The analysis of bank business performance and market risk—Applying Fuzzy DEA," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 225-232.
- Kablan, Sandrine & Yousfi, Ouidad, 2011. "Performance of islamic banks across the world: an empirical analysis over the period 2001-2008," MPRA Paper 28695, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Feb 2011.
- Fatma Cebenoyan & A. Sinan Cebenoyan & Elizabeth S. Cooperman, 2003. "Regulatory Regimes and Takeovers of U.S. Thrifts," Hunter College Department of Economics Working Papers 303, Hunter College: Department of Economics.
- Bauer, Paul W. & Berger, Allen N. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Humphrey, David B., 1998.
"Consistency Conditions for Regulatory Analysis of Financial Institutions: A Comparison of Frontier Efficiency Methods,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 85-114, March.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods," Financial Services working paper 97-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-50, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- González Bravo, M. Isabel & Mariaca Daza, René, 2010. "Fracaso de bancos comerciales. Un estudio de eficiencia y productividad," Revista Latinoamericana de Desarrollo Economico, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio-Económicas (IISEC), Universidad Católica Boliviana, issue 13, pages 137-162.
- Andrew C. Worthington, 2009.
"Frontier Efficiency Measurement in Deposit-taking Financial Mutuals: A Review of Techniques, Application, and Future Research Directions,"
Discussion Papers in Finance
finance:200911, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Andrew C. Worthington, 2010. "Frontier Efficiency Measurement In Deposit-Taking Financial Mutuals: A Review Of Techniques, Applications, And Future Research Directions," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 81(1), pages 39-75, 03.
- Wendy Edelberg & David Marshall, 1996. "Monetary policy shocks and long-term interest rates," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Mar, pages 2-17.
- Richard S. Barr & Kory A. Killgo & Thomas F. Siems & Sheri Zimmel, 1999. "Evaluating the productive efficiency and performance of U.S. commercial banks," Financial Industry Studies Working Paper 99-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.