Shareholding in the Keiretsu, Japan's Financial Groups
AbstractLargest debtholders in keiretsu member companies hold more stock if the companies have high debt-to-equity ratios or have weaker collateral, greater prospects of growth, or unique aspects. All are factors associated with the agency problems of debt that stockholding by a debtholder can help to resolve. The stockholding also induces greater borrowing by these same companies, ceteris paribus. Copyright 1993 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 75 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shin, G. Hwan & Fraser, Donald R. & Kolari, James W., 2003. "How does banking industry consolidation affect bank-firm relationships? Evidence from a large Japanese bank merger," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 285-304, July.
- Santos, Joao C., 1997.
"Debt and equity as optimal contracts,"
Journal of Corporate Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 355-366, December.
- Ralph P. Heinrich, 1999. "Complementarities in Corporate Governance. A Survey of the Literature with Special Emphasis on Japan," Kiel Working Papers 947, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Lin, Xiaochi & Zhang, Yi & Zhu, Ning, 2009. "Does bank ownership increase firm value? Evidence from China," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 720-737, June.
- Chen, Ming-Yuan, 2005. "Group affiliation, identity of managers, and the relation between managerial ownership and performance," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 533-558.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Christopher J. Ellis & Dietrich Fausten, 2000. "Industrial Groupings and Strategic FDI: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 8046, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rahman, Asheq & Yammeesri, Jira & Perera, Hector, 2010. "Financial reporting quality in international settings: A comparative study of the USA, Japan, Thailand, France and Germany," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 1-34, March.
- Yishay Yafeh, 2003. "An International Perspective of Corporate Groups and Their Prospects," NBER Chapters, in: Structural Impediments to Growth in Japan, pages 259-284 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kazuo Ogawa & Elmer Sterken & Ichiro Tokutsu, 2005. "Bank Control and the Number of Bank Relations of Japanese Firms," CESifo Working Paper Series 1589, CESifo Group Munich.
- Santos, Joao A.C. & Rumble, Adrienne S., 2006. "The American keiretsu and universal banks: Investing, voting and sitting on nonfinancials' corporate boards," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 419-454, May.
- Constand, Richard L. & Pace, R. Daniel, 1998. "Another look at corporate ownership in Japan," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 127-147.
- Randall Morck & Masao Nakamura, 2000. "Japanese Corporate Governance and Macroeconomic Problems," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1893, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Bernotas, David, 2005. "Ownership structure and firm profitability in the Japanese keiretsu," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 533-554, June.
- João A.C. Santos, 1998. "Banking and commerce: how does the United States compare to other countries?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q IV, pages 14-26.
- Daniel E. Nolle & Rama Seth, 1996. "Do banks follow their customers abroad?," Research Paper 9620, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Yishay Yafeh, 2002. "An International Perspective of Japan's Corporate Groups and their Prospects," NBER Working Papers 9386, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hirota, Shinichi, 1999. "Are Corporate Financing Decisions Different in Japan? An Empirical Study on Capital Structure," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 201-229, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.