Hospital Costs and Competition for Services: A Multiproduct Analysis
AbstractThe authors estimate the effects of market structure on hospital costs using a translog multiproduct cost function. Recognizing the multiplicity of services provided by hospitals, the results show that costs are substantially determined by service configuration, and that there are distinct economies of size and sco pe. The model also distinguishes market concentration measures by servic e type, including obstetrics, radiation therapy, diagnostic imaging, a nd surgery. Estimates show that, after controlling for the other determinants of cost, the degree of competition has only modest cost-increasing effects. Copyright 1992 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 74 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
Other versions of this item:
- Fournier, G.M. & Mitchell. J.M., 1991. "Hospital Costs and Competition for Services : A Multiproduct Analysis," Working Papers 1991_03_6, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonio Giuffrida & Hugh Gravelle & Matthew Sutton, .
"Efficiency and Administrative Costs in Primary Care,"
99/27, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Giuffrida, Antonio & Gravelle, Hugh & Sutton, Matthew, 2000. "Efficiency and administrative costs in primary care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 983-1006, November.
- Paul W. Wilson & Kathleen Carey, 2004. "Nonparametric analysis of returns to scale in the US hospital industry," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(4), pages 505-524.
- C. L. Chua & Alfons Palangkaraya & Jongsay Yong, 2009.
"Hospital Competition, Technical Efficiency, and Quality,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2009n16, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Chew Lian Chua & Alfons Palangkaraya & Jongsay Yong, 2011. "Hospital Competition, Technical Efficiency and Quality," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 87(277), pages 252-268, 06.
- King, Robert P. & Leibtag, Ephraim S. & Behl, Ajay S., 2004.
"Supermarket Characteristics And Operating Costs In Low-Income Areas,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20361, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- King, Robert P. & Leibtag, Ephraim S. & Behl, Ajay S., 2004. "Supermarket Characteristics And Operating Costs In Low-Income Areas," Agricultural Economics Reports 34003, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Vikram Tiwari & H. Heese, 2009. "Specialization and competition in healthcare delivery networks," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 306-324, September.
- Marini G & Miraldo M, 2009. "The costs of new organisational and financial freedom: The case of English NHS trusts," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 09/26, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Dundar, Halil & Lewis, Darrell R., 1995. "Departmental productivity in American universities: Economies of scale and scope," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 119-144, June.
- Guilhermina Rego & Rui Nunes & José Costa, 2010. "The challenge of corporatisation: the experience of Portuguese public hospitals," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 367-381, August.
- Mahar, Stephen & Bretthauer, Kurt M. & Salzarulo, Peter A., 2011. "Locating specialized service capacity in a multi-hospital network," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(3), pages 596-605, August.
- Martin Gaynor & William B. Vogt, .
"Antitrust and Competition in Health Care Markets,"
GSIA Working Papers
1999-E29, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Kurup, Hari K K, 2010. "On the estimation of hospital cost: the approach," MPRA Paper 22767, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lindrooth, Richard C. & Lo Sasso, Anthony T. & Bazzoli, Gloria J., 2003. "The effect of urban hospital closure on markets," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 691-712, September.
- Dor, Avi & Farley, Dean E., 1996. "Payment source and the cost of hospital care: Evidence from a multiproduct cost function with multiple payers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Calem, Paul S. & Dor, Avi & Rizzo, John A., 1999. "The welfare effects of mergers in the hospital industry," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 197-213, May.
- Engberg, John & Wholey, Douglas & Feldman, Roger & Christianson, Jon B., 2004. "The effect of mergers on firms' costs: evidence from the HMO industry," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 574-600, September.
- Tong Li & Robert Rosenman, 2001. "Estimating hospital costs with a generalized Leontief function," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 523-538.
- Wholey, Douglas & Feldman, Roger & Christianson, Jon B. & Engberg, John, 1996. "Scale and scope economies among health maintenance organizations," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 657-684, December.
- P. Prezerakos & N. Maniadakis & D. Kaitelidou & N. Kotsopoulos & J. Yfantopoulos, 2007. "Measuring Across Hospital Efficiency and Productivity: The Case of Second Regional Health Authority of Attica," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1-2), pages 83-96.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.