The Impact of Macroeconomic Policies on Income Distribution: An Empirical Study of the Philippines
AbstractThere has been a growing awareness of the income distribution dimension of macroeconomic policies. This paper studies this issue empirically, considering the case of the Philippines and using data available from integrated surveys of households. After estimating a reduced-form equation, it is found that underemployment, inflation, and government spending worsen income distribution, while productivity gains, the real interest rate, and the real exchange rate improve distribution. A similar pattern emerges when the effects of these variables on the absolute incidence of poverty are estimated. Copyright 1990 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 72 (1990)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mototsugu Fukushige & Noriko Ishikawa, 2006.
"Decomposing interregional differentials in productivities: An empirical analysis for Japanese data,"
Discussion Papers in Economics and Business
06-11, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Fukushige, Mototsugu & Ishikawa, Noriko, 2007. "Decomposing interregional differentials in productivities: An empirical analysis for Japanese data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 240-246, December.
- Phillippe G. Leite & Terry McKinley & Rafael Guerreiro Osório, 2006. "The Post-Apartheid Evolution of Earnings Inequality in South Africa, 1995-2004," Working Papers 32, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Sato, Sumie & Fukushige, Mototsugu, 2009.
"Globalization and economic inequality in the short and long run: The case of South Korea 1975-1995,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 62-68, January.
- Sumie & Mototsugu Fukushige, 2007. "Globalization and Economic Inequality in the Short and Long Run: The Case of South Korea 1975-1995," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 07-43, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Farré, Lídia & Vella, Francis, 2006.
"Macroeconomic Conditions and the Distribution of Income in Spain,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2512, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lídia Farré & Francis Vella, 2008. "Macroeconomic Conditions and the Distribution of Income in Spain," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 22(3), pages 383-410, 09.
- Ferreira, Francisco & Prennushi, Giovanna & Ravallion, Martin, 1999. "Protecting the poor from macroeconomic shocks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2160, The World Bank.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Financial Crises, Poverty, and Income Distribution," IMF Working Papers 02/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez, 2001. "The Impact of Budgets on the Poor: Tax and Benefit," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0110, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Kane, Cheikh & Morisett, Jacques, 1993. "Who would vote for inflation in Brazil? : an integrated framework approach to inflation and income distribution," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1183, The World Bank.
- repec:phd:pjdevt:jpd_1992_vol._xix_no._2-a is not listed on IDEAS
- Cysne, Rubens Penha & Turchick, David, 2012. "Equilibrium unemployment-inequality correlation," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 454-469.
- Odedokun, Matthew & Round, Jeffery I., 2001. "Determinants of Income Inequality and its Effects on Economic Growth: Evidence from African Countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Umir Wahid & Sally Wallace, 2008. "Incidence of Taxes in Pakistan: Primer and Estimates," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0813, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez, 2007. "Budget Policy and Income Distribution," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0707, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.