Constructing Confidence Intervals Using the Bootstrap: An Application to a Multi-Product Cost Function
AbstractA multi-product cost function system is estimated for 387 banks in states that allow branch banking. The bootstrap resampling method is used to construct confidence intervals for marginal costs, output-cost elasticities, economies of scale and scope, and Allen elasticities of substitution. Confidence intervals for these measures are usually constructed using a first-order variance approximation under a normality assumption, but such confidence intervals are inexact if the measures are not normally distributed or the variance approximations are imprecise. We find that the bootstrap standard error estimates can differ significantly from the usual estimates. Furthermore, we use the bootstrap to expand the analysis of cost function regularity properties. Copyright 1990 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 72 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Khalaf, Lynda, 2002.
"Simulation based finite and large sample tests in multivariate regressions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 303-322, December.
- Jean-Marie Dufour & Lynda Khalaf, 2000. "Simulation Based Finite and Large Sample Tests in Multivariate Regressions," CIRANO Working Papers 2000s-15, CIRANO.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & KHALAF, Lynda, 2000. "Simulation-Based Finite and Large Sample Tests in Multivariate Regressions," Cahiers de recherche 2000-10, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dufour, J.M. & Khalaf, L., 2000. "Simulation-Based Finite and Large Sample Tests in Multivariate Regressions," Cahiers de recherche 2000-10, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Truett, Lila J. & Truett, Dale B., 2003. "A cost function analysis of import demand and growth in South Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 425-442, April.
- Zhang, Wei & Alston, Julian M., 2013. "Factor Substitution and Technical Change in the U.S. Dairy Manufacturing Industry," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150707, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Truett, Lila J. & Truett, Dale B., 2007. "A cost-based analysis of scale economies in the French auto industry," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 369-382.
- Marc-Andreas Muendler & Sascha O. Becker, 2006.
"Margins of Multinational Labor Substitution,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1713, CESifo Group Munich.
- Marc-Andreas Muendler & Sascha O. Becker, 2009. "Margins of Multinational Labor Substitution," NBER Working Papers 14776, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Muendler, Marc-Andreas & Becker, Sascha O., 2006. "Margins of Multinational Labor Substitution," IZA Discussion Papers 2131, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mündler, Marc-Andreas & Becker, Sascha O., 2006. "Margins of multinational labor substitution," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,24, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Muendler, Marc-Andreas & Becker, Sascha O., 2006. "Margins of Multinational Labor Substitution," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt1fc22575, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Muendler, Marc-Andreas, 2006. "Margins of Multinational Labor Substitution," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt6b2236xm, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Santiago Carbó Valverde & Francisco Rodríguez Fernández, 2005.
"Operaciones fuera de balance y economías de escala en el sector bancario español,"
Fundación SEPI, vol. 29(2), pages 389-430, May.
- Santiago Carbó Valverde & Francisco Rodríguez Fernández, 2004. "Operaciones fuera de balance y economías de escala en el sector bancario español," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/28, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Dietsch, Michel & Lozano-Vivas, Ana, 2000. "How the environment determines banking efficiency: A comparison between French and Spanish industries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 985-1004, June.
- Truett, Lila J. & Truett, Dale B., 2010. "Globalization challenges for the Mexican textile industry," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 733-741, October.
- Mennemeyer, Stephen T. & Cyr, Louis P., 1997. "A bootstrap approach to medical decision analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 741-747, December.
- Lila J. Truett & Dale B. Truett, 2005. "Nafta¡¯S Impact On The Mexican Automotive Sector," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 30(2), pages 155-176, December.
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Kastens, Terry L., 2000. "Non-Parametric And Semi-Parametric Techniques For Modeling And Simulating Correlated, Non-Normal Price And Yield Distributions: Applications To Risk Analysis In Kansas Agriculture," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(02), August.
- Figlio, David N., 1999. "Functional form and the estimated effects of school resources," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 241-252, April.
- Lila J. Truett & Dale B. Truett, . "The South Korean Auto Industry: All Grown Up Now? Since 1962, South Korea has recognized the motor vehicle industry as a critical industry for economic development. The government has been closely inv," Working Papers 0011, College of Business, University of Texas at San Antonio.
- Kristensen, Troels & Olsen, Kim Rose & Kilsmark, Jannie & Lauridsen, Jørgen T. & Pedersen, Kjeld Møller, 2012. "Economies of scale and scope in the Danish hospital sector prior to radical restructuring plans," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 120-126.
- Friesner, Daniel L., 2003. "An empirical examination of cost-adjusting in outpatient clinics," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 745-759.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.