Can Uncertainty Alleviate the Commons Problem?
AbstractGlobal commons problems, such as climate change, are often affected by severe uncertainty. The paper examines the effect of uncertainty on pollution emissions and welfare in a strategic context. We find that emissions are always lower under uncertainty than under certainty, reflecting risk-reducing considerations. We show that uncertainty can have a net positive impact on the welfare of risk-averse polluters. We extend the analysis to increases in risk, increases in risk-aversion, and to risk heterogeneity. (JEL: D81, C72, Q54, H23) (c) 2009 by the European Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Journal of the European Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 7 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jérémy Laurent-Lucchetti & Justin Leroux & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2011.
"Splitting an Uncertain (Natural) Capital,"
Cahiers de recherche
11-01, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- TREICH Nicolas, 2009.
"Risk-aversion and Prudence in Rent-seeking Games,"
LERNA Working Papers
09.05.281, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- May Elsayyad & Florian Morath, 2013. "Technology Transfers for Climate Change," CESifo Working Paper Series 4521, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stefan Baumgärtner & Martin F. Quaas, 2008.
"Managing increasing environmental risks through agro-biodiversity and agri-environmental policies,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
80, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Stefan Baumgärtner & Martin F. Quaas, 2010. "Managing increasing environmental risks through agrobiodiversity and agrienvironmental policies," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(5), pages 483-496, 09.
- Stefan Baumgärtner & Martin F. Quaas, 2007. "Agro-biodiversity as natural insurance and the development of financial insurance markets," Working Paper Series in Economics 61, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Gollier, Christian & Hammitt, James & Treich, Nicolas, 2013.
"Risk and Choice: A Research Saga,"
IDEI Working Papers
804, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Michael Finus & Pedro Pintassilgo & Alistair Ulph, 2014. "International Environmental Agreements with Uncertainty, Learning and Risk Aversion," CESifo Working Paper Series 4589, CESifo Group Munich.
- Martin F. Quaas & Stefan Baumgärtner, 2006.
"Natural vs. financial insurance in the management of public-good ecosystems,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
34, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Quaas, Martin F. & Baumgärtner, Stefan, 2008. "Natural vs. financial insurance in the management of public-good ecosystems," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 397-406, April.
- Hiroaki Sakamoto, 2014. "Public Bads, Heterogeneous Beliefs, and the Value of Information," Discussion papers e-13-009, Graduate School of Economics Project Center, Kyoto University.
- Olivier Bochet & Jeremy Laurent-Lucchetti & Justin Leroux & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2013. "Collective Dangerous Behavior: Theory and Evidence on Risk-Taking," Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva 13101, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
- Boucher, Vincent & Bramoullé, Yann, 2010. "Providing global public goods under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(9-10), pages 591-603, October.
- Kocher, Martin & Pahlke, Julius & Trautmann, Stefan, 2013. "An Experimental Study of Precautionary Bidding," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79690, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.