Can Uncertainty Alleviate the Commons Problem?
AbstractGlobal commons problems, such as climate change, are often affected by severe uncertainty. The paper examines the effect of uncertainty on pollution emissions and welfare in a strategic context. We find that emissions are always lower under uncertainty than under certainty, reflecting risk-reducing considerations. We show that uncertainty can have a net positive impact on the welfare of risk-averse polluters. We extend the analysis to increases in risk, increases in risk-aversion, and to risk heterogeneity. (JEL: D81, C72, Q54, H23) (c) 2009 by the European Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Journal of the European Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 7 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gollier, Christian & Hammitt, James & Treich, Nicolas, 2013.
"Risk and Choice: A Research Saga,"
IDEI Working Papers
804, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jérémy Laurent-Lucchetti & Justin Leroux & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2011.
"Splitting an Uncertain (Natural) Capital,"
Cahiers de recherche
11-01, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Stefan Baumgärtner & Martin F. Quaas, 2007. "Agro-biodiversity as natural insurance and the development of financial insurance markets," Working Paper Series in Economics 61, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Quaas, Martin F. & Baumgärtner, Stefan, 2008.
"Natural vs. financial insurance in the management of public-good ecosystems,"
Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 397-406, April.
- Martin F. Quaas & Stefan Baumgärtner, 2006. "Natural vs. financial insurance in the management of public-good ecosystems," Working Paper Series in Economics 34, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Finus, M & Pintassilgo, Pedro & Ulph, Alistair, 2014.
"International Environmental Agreements with Uncertainty, Learning and Risk Aversion,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
39840, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Michael Finus & Pedro Pintassilgo & Alistair Ulph, 2014. "International Environmental Agreements with Uncertainty, Learning and Risk Aversion," CESifo Working Paper Series 4589, CESifo Group Munich.
- TREICH Nicolas, 2009.
"Risk-aversion and Prudence in Rent-seeking Games,"
LERNA Working Papers
09.05.281, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Stefan Baumgärtner & Martin F. Quaas, 2008.
"Managing increasing environmental risks through agro-biodiversity and agri-environmental policies,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
80, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Stefan Baumgärtner & Martin F. Quaas, 2010. "Managing increasing environmental risks through agrobiodiversity and agrienvironmental policies," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(5), pages 483-496, 09.
- Kocher, Martin & Pahlke, Julius & Trautmann, Stefan, 2013. "An Experimental Study of Precautionary Bidding," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79690, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Olivier Bochet & Jeremy Laurent-Lucchetti & Justin Leroux & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2013. "Collective Dangerous Behavior: Theory and Evidence on Risk-Taking," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 13101, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- May Elsayyad & Florian Morath, 2013. "Technology Transfers for Climate Change," CESifo Working Paper Series 4521, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hiroaki Sakamoto, 2014. "Public Bads, Heterogeneous Beliefs, and the Value of Information," Discussion papers e-13-009, Graduate School of Economics Project Center, Kyoto University.
- Boucher, Vincent & Bramoullé, Yann, 2010. "Providing global public goods under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(9-10), pages 591-603, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.