Carry Trade: The Gains of Diversification
AbstractMarket participants routinely take advantage of the failure of uncovered interest rate parity to speculate in currency markets. Perhaps the most widely used currency speculation strategy is the carry trade. In this article we take the perspective of an individual currency trader and document the gains to diversifying the carry trade across different currencies. We show that these gains are large. Diversification boosts the typical Sharpe ratio by over 50%. (c) 2008 by the European Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Journal of the European Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 6 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (04-05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Sarno, Lucio & Schmeling, Maik & Schrimpf, Andreas, 2012.
"Currency momentum strategies,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 660-684.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Sarno, Lucio & Schmeling, Maik & Schrimpf, Andreas, 2012. "Currency Momentum Strategies," CEPR Discussion Papers 8747, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Lucio Sarno & Maik Schmeling & Andreas Schrimpf, 2011. "Currency Momentum Strategies," BIS Working Papers 366, Bank for International Settlements.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Lucio Sarno & Maik Schmeling & Andreas Schrimpf, 2012. "Currency Momentum Strategies," Working Paper Series 09_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Òscar Jordà & Alan M. Taylor, 2009.
"The Carry Trade and Fundamentals: Nothing to Fear But FEER Itself,"
NBER Working Papers
15518, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordà, Òscar & Taylor, Alan M., 2012. "The carry trade and fundamentals: Nothing to fear but FEER itself," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 74-90.
- Jordà, Òscar & Taylor, Alan M., 2009. "The Carry Trade and Fundamentals: Nothing to Fear But FEER Itself," CEPR Discussion Papers 7568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wagner, Christian, 2009.
"Risk-Premia, Carry-Trade Dynamics, and Economic Value of Currency Speculation,"
21125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wagner, Christian, 2012. "Risk-premia, carry-trade dynamics, and economic value of currency speculation," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1195-1219.
- Pippenger, John, 2013. "The Failure Of Uncovered Interest Parity, Forward Bias And Related Puzzles," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt50n5p8bv, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- John, Pippenger, 2011. "The solution to the forward-bias puzzle: Reply," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 629-636, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.