The Growth of Business Firms: Facts and Theory
AbstractWe refer to the framework developed by Ijiri and Simon (1977) and to the notion of independent submarkets (Sutton 1998) to provide a simple candidate explanation for the shape of the firm growth distribution based on a model of proportional growth at the level of both the introduction of new products by firms and their size dynamics. We exploit the features of a unique longitudinal data set which covers the entire distribution of products and firms in the worldwide pharmaceutical industry to test the model at different levels of aggregation as well as at different time lags. Econometric investigations show that the model's predictions are in good agreement with empirical evidence. (JEL: L11, L65) (c) 2007 by the European Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Journal of the European Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 5 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (04-05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L65 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Chemicals; Rubber; Drugs; Biotechnology
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kaldasch, Joachim, 2011.
"The Product Life Cycle of Durable Goods,"
50530, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Joachim Kaldasch, 2012.
"Evolutionary Model of the Growth and Size of Firms,"
- Kaldasch, Joachim, 2012. "Evolutionary model of the growth and size of firms," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(14), pages 3751-3769.
- Massimo Riccaboni & Stefano Schiavo, 2009.
"The Structure and Growth of International Trade,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2009-24, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Massimo Riccaboni & Stefano Schiavo, 2010. "The Structure and Growth of International Trade," DEGIT Conference Papers c015_032, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Massimo Riccaboni & Stefano Schiavo, 2010. "The Structure and Growth of International Trade," Department of Economics Working Papers 1005, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Misako Takayasu & Hayafumi Watanabe & Hideki Takayasu, 2013. "Generalised central limit theorems for growth rate distribution of complex systems," Papers 1301.2728, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2014.
- Massimo Riccaboni & Stefano Schiavo, 2009. "The Structure and Growth of Weighted Networks," Papers 0908.0348, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2009.
- Massimo, Riccaboni & Jakub, Growiec & Fabio, Pammolli, 2011.
"Innovation and Corporate Dynamics: A Theoretical Framework,"
30046, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jakub Growiec & Fabio Pammolli & Massimo Riccaboni, 2011. "Innovation and Corporate Dynamics: A Theoretical Framework," DISA Working Papers 2011/08, Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy, revised 29 Jul 2011.
- Xie, Wen-Jie & Gu, Gao-Feng & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2010. "On the growth of primary industry and population of China’s counties," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(18), pages 3876-3882.
- Joachim Kaldasch, 2013.
"Evolutionary Model of a Anonymous Consumer Durable Market,"
- Kaldasch, Joachim, 2011. "Evolutionary model of an anonymous consumer durable market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(14), pages 2692-2715.
- Fabio Pammolli & Massimo Riccaboni & Nicola Carmine Salerno, 2012. "I Farmaci Oncologici in Italia: innovazione e sostenibilità economica," Working Papers 02-2012, Competitività Regole Mecati (CERM).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.