Expected Equity Returns and Portfolio Choice: Evidence from the Health and Retirement Study
AbstractTo provide an empirical basis for the study of expectations, we have undertaken survey research measuring in probabilistic terms the beliefs that Americans hold about equity returns in the year ahead. This paper presents new findings on the expected returns reported in the 2004 Health and Retirement Study. We find substantial heterogeneity of reported beliefs, but, strikingly, nearly two-thirds of respondents report no better than a 50-50 chance of a positive nominal return. As in our earlier work, expected returns decline with age and are higher for men than for women. We find here that the probability of holding stocks increases substantially as the perceived chance of a positive return increases. These findings are potentially of considerable importance for portfolio choice. (JEL: G1, D1, D8) (c) 2007 by the European Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Journal of the European Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 5 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (04-05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hurd, Michael & Van Rooij, Marten & Winter, Joachim, 2010.
"Stock Market Expectations of Dutch Households,"
MEA discussion paper series
10206, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Michael Hurd & Maarten van Rooij & Joachim Winter, 2009. "Stock Market Expectations of Dutch Households," DNB Working Papers 228, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Michael D. Hurd & Maarten van Rooij & Joachim Winter, 2010. "Stock Market Expectations of Dutch Households," NBER Working Papers 16464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marco Angrisani & Michael D. Hurd & Erik Meijer, 2012. "Investment Decisions in Retirement: The Role of Subjective Expectations," Working Papers wp274, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Fabian Gouret & Guillaume Hollard, 2011. "When Kahneman meets Manski: Using dual systems of reasoning to interpret subjective expectations of equity returns," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00867700, HAL.
- Adeline Delavande & Susann Rohwedder, 2008. "Eliciting Subjective Expectations in Internet Surveys," Working Papers 589, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Tuukka Saarimaa, 2008. "Owner-Occupied Housing and Demand for Risky Financial Assets: Some Finnish Evidence," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 21(1), pages 22-38, Spring.
- Müller, Helge & Schumacher, Christoph & Feess, Eberhard, 2011. "Gender behavior in betting markets," Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis 48697, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Fabian Gouret & Guillaume Hollard, 2011. "When Kahneman meets Manski: making sense of individual expectations on equity returns," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00633561, HAL.
- Jeff Dominitz & Angela Hung, 2006. "Retirement Savings Portfolio Management," Working Papers wp138, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Raffaele Miniaci & Sergio Pastorello, 2008.
"Mean-Variance Econometric Analysis of Household Portfolios,"
0807, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Raffaele Miniaci & Sergio Pastorello, 2010. "Mean-variance econometric analysis of household portfolios," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 481-504.
- Tas, Derya & Calvo-Pardo, Hector & Arrondel, Luc, 2012. "Subjective Return Expectations, Information and Stock Market Participation : Evidence from France," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/9805, Paris Dauphine University.
- Michael D. Hurd & Susann Rohwedder, 2012. "Stock Price Expectations and Stock Trading," NBER Working Papers 17973, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.