Alfred Marshall Lecture Shareholder Protection, Stock Market Development, and Politics
AbstractThis paper presents a political economy model in which there is mutual feedback between investor protection and stock market development. Better investor protection induces companies to issue more equity and thereby leads to a broader stock market. In turn, equity issuance expands the shareholder base and increases support for shareholder protection. This feedback loop can generate multiple equilibria, with investor protection and stock market size being positively correlated across equilibria. The model's predictions are tested on panel data for 47 countries over 1993-2002, controlling for country and year effects and endogeneity issues. We also document international convergence in shareholder protection to best-practice standards, and show that it is correlated with cross-border mergers and acquisitions activity, consistent with the model. (JEL: G34, K22, K42) (c) 2006 by the European Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Journal of the European Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 4 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (04-05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- K22 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Business and Securities Law
- K42 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Illegal Behavior and the Enforcement of Law
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Perotti, Enrico & Schwienbacher, Armin, 2009.
"The political origin of pension funding,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 384-404, July.
- Enrico Perotti & Armin Schwienbacher, 2007. "The Political Origin of Pension Funding," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-004/2, Tinbergen Institute, revised 30 Oct 2008.
- Perotti, Enrico C & Schwienbacher, Armin, 2007. "The Political Origin of Pension Funding," CEPR Discussion Papers 6100, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sarkar, Prabirjit & Singh, Ajit, 2009.
"Law, Finance and Development: Further Analyses of Longitudinal Data,"
39060, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Prabirjit Sarkar & Ajit Singh, 2010. "Law, finance and development: further analyses of longitudinal data," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 325-346, March.
- Prabirjit Sarkar & Ajit Singh, 2009. "Law, Finance and Development Further Analyses of Longitudinal Data," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp387, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Alessandra Bonfiglioli, 2010.
"Investor Protection and Income Inequality: Risk Sharing vs Risk Taking,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
827.10, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra, 2012. "Investor protection and income inequality: Risk sharing vs risk taking," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 92-104.
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra, 2010. "Investor Protection and Income Inequality: Risk Sharing vs Risk Taking," CEPR Discussion Papers 7853, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alessandra Bonfiglioli, 2010. "Investor Protection and Income Inequality: Risk Sharing vs Risk Taking," Working Papers 461, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Korkeamäki, Timo & Koskinen, Yrjö & Takalo, Tuomas, 2007.
"Phoenix rising: Legal reforms and changes in valuations in Finland during the economic crisis,"
Research Discussion Papers
1/2007, Bank of Finland.
- Korkeamaki, Timo & Koskinen, Yrjo & Takalo, Tuomas, 2007. "Phoenix rising: Legal reforms and changes in valuations in Finland during the economic crisis," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 33-58, April.
- Ye Bai & Christopher Green, 2011. "Determinants of cross-sectional stock return variations in emerging markets," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 81-102, August.
- Stephen Haber & Enrico Perotti, 2008. "The Political Economy of Financial Systems," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-045/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Wong, Wei-Kang, 2008. "Comparing the fit of the gravity model for different cross-border flows," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 474-477, June.
- Ashok Thomas & Luca Spataro, 2013. "Pension funds and Market Efficiency: A review," Discussion Papers 2013/164, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.