Crisis in the European Automobile Industry: An “Organizational Adaptation” Perspective
AbstractThe paper explores the determinants of corporate crisis through an «organizational adaptation» perspective. In this regard, a research framework recently developed by scholars is at first shown. It is then tested in the European automobile industry through the analysis of the huge Fiat group’s economic and financial crisis in the nineties. Empirical findings are drawn from public archival sources. The discussion of the main results and of the implications for further research on the crisis of firms follow. Among the different methodological and theoretical perspectives on the determinants of firms’ crisis developed by literature, the paper can help to enforce the scientific conciliation wished by scholars.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by DSI - Dipartimento di Studi sull'Impresa in its journal DSI Essays Series.
Volume (Year): 5 (2009)
Issue (Month): ()
Adaptation; automobile; crisis; decline; failure; Fiat; niche; population ecology; top management team; turnaround;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
- M16 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - International Business Administration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mario Risso).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.