Alternative asset-price dynamics and volatility smile
AbstractWe review the general class of analytically tractable asset-price models that was introduced by Brigo and Mercurio (2001a Mathematical Finance—Bachelier Congr. 2000 (Springer Finance) ed H Geman, D B Madan, S R Pliska and A C F Vorst (Berlin: Springer) pp 151-74), where the considered asset can be an exchange rate, a stock index or even a forward Libor rate. The class is based on an explicit SDE under a given forward measure and includes models featuring (i) explicit asset-price dynamics, (ii) a virtually unlimited number of parameters and (iii) analytical formulae for European options. We also review the fundamental case where the asset-price density is given, at every time, by a mixture of log-normal densities with equal means. We then introduce two other cases: the first is still based on log-normal densities, but it allows for different means in the distributions; the second is based on processes of hyperbolic-sine type. Finally, we test the goodness of calibration to real market data of the considered models, choosing a particularly asymmetric volatility surface. As expected, the model based on hyperbolic-sine density mixtures achieves the lowest calibration error.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Quantitative Finance.
Volume (Year): 3 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RQUF20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carol Alexander, 2002. "Short and Long Term Smile Effects: The Binomial Normal Mixture Diffusion Model," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2003-06, Henley Business School, Reading University, revised Mar 2003.
- Damiano Brigo, 2008. "The general mixture-diffusion SDE and its relationship with an uncertain-volatility option model with volatility-asset decorrelation," Papers 0812.4052, arXiv.org.
- Schneider, Stefan & Schneider, Stefan, 2010. "Power Spot Price Models with negative Prices," MPRA Paper 29958, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marco Airoldi & Vito Antonelli & Bruno Bassetti & Andrea Martinelli & Marco Picariello, 2004. "Long Range Interaction Generating Fat-Tails in Finance," GE, Growth, Math methods 0404006, EconWPA, revised 27 Apr 2004.
- Dinghai Xu, 2009. "The Applications of Mixtures of Normal Distributions in Empirical Finance: A Selected Survey," Working Papers 0904, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2009.
- Damiano Brigo & Francesco Rapisarda & Abir Sridi, 2013. "The arbitrage-free Multivariate Mixture Dynamics Model: Consistent single-assets and index volatility smiles," Papers 1302.7010, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.