Large returns, conditional correlation and portfolio diversification: a value-at-risk approach
AbstractThis paper, using daily returns on 30 Dow Jones Industrial stocks for the period 1991-1999, investigates the possibility of portfolio diversification when there are negative large movements in the stock returns (i.e.�when the market is bearish). We estimate the quantiles of stock return distributions using non-parametric and parametric methods that are widely being used in measuring value-at-risk (VaR). We find that the average conditional correlation of 30 stocks is much higher when the large movements are negative than that when the market is 'usual'. Further, we find that, contrary to the results of previous studies, there is no notable difference between the average conditional correlations when the large movements are positive and when the market is 'usual'. Moreover, it is evident from the results of the conditional CAPM that the portfolio's diversifiable and non-diversifiable risks, as measured by the error variance of the CAPM and beta respectively, are highly unstable when the market is bearish than that when it is 'usual' or bullish. The overall results suggest that the possibility of portfolio diversification would be eroded when the stock market is bearish. These findings have implications for portfolio diversification and risk management in particular and for finance in general. The ideas presented in this paper can be utilized for testing contagion in the international financial markets, a much-researched topic in international finance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Quantitative Finance.
Volume (Year): 1 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RQUF20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Demirer, Rıza & Jategaonkar, Shrikant P., 2013. "The conditional relation between dispersion and return," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 125-134.
- Szego, Giorgio, 2002. "Measures of risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1253-1272, July.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Szafarz, 2007.
"Crisis-Robust Bond Portfolios,"
Working Papers CEB
07-030.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Szafarz, 2008. "Crisis-Robust Bond Portfolios," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14150, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Szafarz, Ariane & Brière, Marie, 2008. "Crisis-Robust Bond Portfolios," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7748, Paris Dauphine University.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012.
"No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality,"
Working Papers CEB
12-010, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Brière, Marie & Chapelle, Ariane & Szafarz, Ariane, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1729-1744.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2008. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," DULBEA Working Papers 08-22.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012. "No Contagion, only Globalization and Flight to Quality," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/149092, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Szafarz, Ariane & Chapelle, Ariane & Brière, Marie, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7746, Paris Dauphine University.
- Adam, Alexandre & Houkari, Mohamed & Laurent, Jean-Paul, 2008. "Spectral risk measures and portfolio selection," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1870-1882, September.
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2002. "Investigating Extreme Dependences: Concepts and Tools," Papers cond-mat/0203166, arXiv.org.
- Cathy Chen & Simon Lin & Philip Yu, 2012. "Smooth Transition Quantile Capital Asset Pricing Models with Heteroscedasticity," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 40(1), pages 19-48, June.
- Tjøstheim, Dag & Hufthammer, Karl Ove, 2013. "Local Gaussian correlation: A new measure of dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 172(1), pages 33-48.
- Ramaprasad Bhar, 2010. "Stochastic Filtering With Applications In Finance:," World Scientific Books, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., number 7736, January.
- Bhar, Ramaprasad & Hamori, Shigeyuki, 2007. "Co-movement in the price of risk of aggregate equity markets," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 256-271, September.
- Yang, J-H.S. & Satchell, S.E., 2003. "Endogenous Correlation," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0321, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Szego, Giorgio, 2005. "Measures of risk," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 163(1), pages 5-19, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.