Computational aspects of alternative portfolio selection models in the presence of discrete asset choice constraints
AbstractWe consider the mean-variance (M-V) model of Markowitz and the construction of the risk-return efficient frontier. We examine the effects of applying buy-in thresholds, cardinality constraints and transaction roundlot restrictions to the portfolio selection problem. Such discrete constraints are of practical importance but make the efficient frontier discontinuous. The resulting quadratic mixed-integer (QMIP) problems are NP-hard and therefore computing the entire efficient frontier is computationally challenging. We propose alternative approaches for computing this frontier and provide insight into its discontinuous structure. Computational results are reported for a set of benchmark test problems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Quantitative Finance.
Volume (Year): 1 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RQUF20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Enrico Angelelli & Renata Mansini & M. Speranza, 2012. "Kernel Search: a new heuristic framework for portfolio selection," Computational Optimization and Applications, Springer, vol. 51(1), pages 345-361, January.
- M. Bartholomew-Biggs & S. Kane, 2009. "A global optimization problem in portfolio selection," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 329-345, August.
- Chen, Wei & Zhang, Wei-Guo, 2010. "The admissible portfolio selection problem with transaction costs and an improved PSO algorithm," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(10), pages 2070-2076.
- Corazza, Marco & Favaretto, Daniela, 2007. "On the existence of solutions to the quadratic mixed-integer mean-variance portfolio selection problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1947-1960, February.
- Derigs, Ulrich & Marzban, Shehab, 2009. "New strategies and a new paradigm for Shariah-compliant portfolio optimization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1166-1176, June.
- Woodside-Oriakhi, M. & Lucas, C. & Beasley, J.E., 2011. "Heuristic algorithms for the cardinality constrained efficient frontier," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 213(3), pages 538-550, September.
- K.P. Anagnostopoulos & P.D. Chatzoglou & S. Katsavounis, 2010. "A reactive greedy randomized adaptive search procedure for a mixed integer portfolio optimization problem," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(12), pages 1057-1065, December.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2009. "Multi-horizon Markowitz portfolio performance appraisals: A general approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 50-62, February.
- Aouni, Belaid & Colapinto, Cinzia & La Torre, Davide, 2014. "Financial portfolio management through the goal programming model: Current state-of-the-art," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(2), pages 536-545.
- Castro, F. & Gago, J. & Hartillo, I. & Puerto, J. & Ucha, J.M., 2011. "An algebraic approach to integer portfolio problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(3), pages 647-659, May.
- Hoai Le Thi & Mahdi Moeini & Tao Pham Dinh, 2009. "Portfolio selection under downside risk measures and cardinality constraints based on DC programming and DCA," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 459-475, October.
- Yucheng Kao & Hsiu-Tzu Cheng, 2013. "Bacterial Foraging Optimization Approach to Portfolio Optimization," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 42(4), pages 453-470, December.
- Angelelli, Enrico & Mansini, Renata & Speranza, M. Grazia, 2008. "A comparison of MAD and CVaR models with real features," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1188-1197, July.
- Mansini, Renata & Ogryczak, Wlodzimierz & Speranza, M. Grazia, 2014. "Twenty years of linear programming based portfolio optimization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(2), pages 518-535.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Octave Jokung, 2007.
"Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging: A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach,"
INFORMS, vol. 53(1), pages 135-149, January.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Octave Jokung, 2005. "Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging: A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach," Working Papers 2005-ECO-05, IESEG School of Management.
- Konstantinos Anagnostopoulos & Georgios Mamanis, 2011. "Multiobjective evolutionary algorithms for complex portfolio optimization problems," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 259-279, August.
- Wu, Lan & Yang, Yuehan & Liu, Hanzhong, 2014. "Nonnegative-lasso and application in index tracking," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 116-126.
- Jobst, Norbert J. & Mitra, Gautam & Zenios, Stavros A., 2006. "Integrating market and credit risk: A simulation and optimisation perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 717-742, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.