Poverty and its many dimensions: The role of income as an indicator
AbstractIn this paper we analyse the choice of the dimension in which poverty is to be measured by reviewing some implications arising from the debate on the concept of welfare. By discussing Sen's capability approach, in particular, it is suggested that income or consumption are not necessarily the only indicators of interest in a poverty analysis. We then explore how comprehensive a picture of poverty can be gained by focusing on an income-based measure, using Chilean data from 1992. We analyse the role of income both as having a direct impact on a set of indicators of well-being and as proxying the relevant factors affecting them. In both cases the link is found to be weak. This suggests that poverty analysis is highly conditional on the indicators chosen and that the approach should be kept as broad as possible in order to capture more fully the multidimensional nature of such a complex phenomenon.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Oxford Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 25 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CODS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Núñez Velázquez, José Javier, 2009. "Estado actual y nuevas aproximaciones a la medición de la pobreza/Current Status and New Approaches to the Measurement of Poverty," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 325-346, Agosto.
- Paul Ningaye, 2011. "Ethno-cultural diversity and multidimensional poverty differential in Cameroon," International Journal of Development Issues, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(2), pages 123-140, July.
- Ruhi Saith, . "Capabilities: the Concept and its Operationalisation," QEH Working Papers qehwps66, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Kuklys, W. & Robeyns, I., 2004. "Sen’s Capability Approach to Welfare Economics," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0415, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Geranda Notten & Keetie Roelen, 2010. "Cross-national comparison of monetary and multidimensional child poverty in the European Union: puzzling with the few pieces that the EUSILC provides," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 13510, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- David A. Clark, 2005. "The Capability Approach: Its Development, Critiques and Recent Advances," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-032, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Luis Fernando Gamboa & Jose Alberto Guerra & Andrés Fernando Casas & Nohora Forero, 2005. "Cambios en calidad de vida en Colombia durante 1997-2003: otra aproximación," BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN 002087, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Wiebke Kuklys & Ingrid Robeyns, 2004. "Sens's Capability Approach to Welfare Economics," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2004-03, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Bigsten, Arne & Shimeles, Abebe, 2004. "Prospects for 'Pro-Poor' Growth in Africa," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Geranda Notten & Keetie Roelen & UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre, 2011. "The Breadth of Child Poverty in Europe: An investigation into overlap and accumulation of deprivations," Innocenti Working Papers inwopa636, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 2001. "Modélisation des déterminants de la mortalité des enfants et pauvreté aux Comores," Documents de travail 53, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi, Ruhi Saith and Frances Stewart, .
"Does it matter that we don't agree on the definition of poverty? A comparison of four approaches,"
QEH Working Papers
qehwps107, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi & Ruhi Saith & Frances Stewart, 2003. "Does it Matter that we do not Agree on the Definition of Poverty? A Comparison of Four Approaches," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 243-274.
- Sabina Alkire, 2011. "Multidimensional Poverty and its Discontents," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp046, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Robyn von Maltzahn & Kevin Durrheim, 2008. "Is poverty multidimensional? A comparison of income and asset based measures in five Southern African countries," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 86(1), pages 149-162, March.
- Milenka Ocampo & Carlos Foronda Rojas, 2007. "Estudio de la calidad de vida en Bolivia: Metodología y medición," InvestigaciÃ³n & Desarrollo 0207, Universidad Privada Boliviana, revised Mar 2007.
- Mozaffar Qizilbash, 2002. "A note on the measurement of poverty and vulnerability in the South African context," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(6), pages 757-772.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.