Measuring the Distribution of Human Development: methodology and an application to Mexico
AbstractThe Human Development Index (HDI) improves upon per-capita Gross Domestic Product as an indicator of development by incorporating information on health and education. However, like its predecessor, it fails to account for the inequality with which the benefits of development are distributed among the population. Subsequent work by Anand and Sen (1993) and Hicks (1997) has led to a useful distribution-sensitive measure of human development, but at the cost of a key property of the HDI that ensures consistency between regional and aggregate analyses. This paper presents a new parametric class of human develop-ment indices that includes the original HDI as well as a family of distribution sensitive indices that satisfy all the basic properties for an index of human development. An empirical application using the year 2000 Mexican Population Census data shows how the new measures can be applied to analyze the distribution of human development at the national level and for individual states.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Human Development and Capabilities.
Volume (Year): 6 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJHD20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Simplice A. Asongu & Brian A. Jingwa, 2012.
"The role of human development on deforestation in Africa: a modelling-based approach,"
International Journal of Green Economics,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 6(4), pages 317-330.
- Asongu Simplice & Jingwa Brian, 2012. "The Role of Human Development on Deforestation in Africa: A Modelling-Based Approach," Working Papers 12/036, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Brian A., Jingwa & Simplice A., Asongu, 2012. "The Role of Human Development on Deforestation in Africa: A Modelling-Based Approach," MPRA Paper 35898, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bundala, Ntogwa, 2012. "Economic Growth and Human Development; A Link Mechanism: An Empirical Approach," MPRA Paper 47648, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jeni Klugman & Francisco Rodríguez & Hyung-Jin Choi, 2011.
"The HDI 2010: New Controversies, Old Critiques,"
Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present)
HDRP-2011-01, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Alain Trannoy & Christophe Muller, 2004.
"A Dominance Approach To Well-Being Inequality Across Countries,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2004-27, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Christophe Muller & Alain Trannoy, 2003. "A Dominance Approach to Well-Being Inequality across Countries," IDEP Working Papers 0313, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France.
- Harttgen, Kenneth & Klasen, Stephan, 2010.
"A household-based Human Development Index,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010
30, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Kenneth Harttgen & Stephan Klasen, 2010. "A Household-Based Human Development Index," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2010-22, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Kenneth Harttgen & Stephan Klasen, 2011. "A Human Development Index at the Household Level," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 75, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Merwan Engineer & Ian King & Nilanjana Roy, 2008.
"The human development index as a criterion for optimal planning,"
Indian Growth and Development Review,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(2), pages 172-192, December.
- Merwan Engineer & Ian King & Nilanjana Roy, 2008. "The Human Development Index as a Criterion for Optimal Planning," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1041, The University of Melbourne.
- Nayak, Purusottam, 2013. "Methodological Developments in Human Development Literature," MPRA Paper 50608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leßmann, Ortrud, 2011. "Empirische Studien zum Capability Ansatz auf der Grundlage von Befragungen: Ein Überblick," UFZ Discussion Papers 4/2011, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), Division of Social Sciences (ÖKUS).
- Antonio Villar, 2009. "Distribution Sensitive Multidimensional Development Indices," Working Papers 09.14, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Srijit Mishra & Hippu Slak Kristle Nathan, 2013. "Measuring human development index: The old, the new and the elegant," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2013-020, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Gaston Yalonetzky, 2009. "Comparing Economic Mobility with Heterogeneity Indices: an Application to Education in Peru," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp033, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Sabina Alkire and James Foster, 2010.
"Designing the Inequality-Adjusted Human Development Index (HDI),"
OPHI Working Papers
ophiwp037, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Sabina Alkire & James Foster, 2010. "Designing the Inequality-Adjusted Human Development Index (IHDI)," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2010-28, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Lustig, Nora, 2006. "Investing in Health for Economic Development: The Case of Mexico," Working Paper Series RP2006/30, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ugo Gentilini, 2006. "How are We doing on Poverty and Hunger Reduction? A New Measyre of Country-Level Progress," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0068, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Gentilini, Ugo & Webb, Patrick, 2008. "How are we doing on poverty and hunger reduction? A new measure of country performance," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 521-532, December.
- N. GRAVEL & Patrick MOYES (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2008. "Bidimensional Inequalities with an Ordinal Variable," Cahiers du GREThA 2008-14, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.