Not Necessarily In The Same Boat: Heterogeneous Risk Assessment Among East African Pastoralists
AbstractThis paper studies variation in risk assessment by pastoralists in the arid and semi arid lands of southern Ethiopia and northern Kenya. Despite superficial homogeneity among east African pastoralists, we show that there exists considerable within-group heterogeneity in their assessment of various risks. We conceptualise risk as comprising of four distinct components: objective exposure, subjective perception, ex ante mitigation capacity, and ex post coping capacity. This conceptualisation provides an effective framework for understanding the observed heterogeneity as the natural consequence of (sometimes modest) structural differences in economic activity patterns, agroclimatic conditions, proximity to towns, wealth, and gender roles. It therefore provides a useful tool for drawing out the policy implications of subjects' expressed concerns about prospective livelihood hazards.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 37 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Moser, Christine, 2004.
"Crime, Isolation, and Law Enforcement,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Luc J. Christiaensen & Kalanidhi Subbarao, 2005.
"Towards an Understanding of Household Vulnerability in Rural Kenya,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 14(4), pages 520-558, December.
- Christiaensen, Luc. J. & Subbarao, Kalanidhi, 2004. "Toward an understanding of household vulnerability in rural Kenya," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3326, The World Bank.
- Doss, Cheryl R. & McPeak, John G. & Barrett, Christopher B., 2005. "Perceptions of Risk within Pastoralist Households in Northern Kenya and Southern Ethiopia," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19504, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lentz, Erin C. & Barrett, Christopher B., 2004. "Food Aid Targeting, Shocks And Private Transfers Among East African Pastoralists," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20247, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- World Bank, 2005. "Ethiopia : Risk and Vulnerability Assessment," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8693, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2005. "Ethiopia : Well-Being and Poverty in Ethiopia, The Role of Agriculture and Agency," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8707, The World Bank.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Bart Minten, 2004.
"Insecurity and Welfare,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2004-31, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Luseno, Winnie K., 2002.
"Decomposing Producer Price Risk: A Policy Analysis Tool With An Application To Northern Kenyan Livestock Markets,"
14753, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Luseno, Winnie K., 2004. "Decomposing producer price risk: a policy analysis tool with an application to northern Kenyan livestock markets," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 393-405, August.
- Cheryl Doss & John McPeak & Christopher Barrett, 2006.
"Interpersonal, Intertemporal and Spatial Variation in Risk Perceptions: Evidence from East Africa,"
948, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Doss, Cheryl & McPeak, John & Barrett, Christopher B., 2008. "Interpersonal, Intertemporal and Spatial Variation in Risk Perceptions: Evidence from East Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1453-1468, August.
- di Gregorio, Monica & McCarthy, Nancy, 2003. "Herd Mobility and Waterpoint Use in Northern Kenya," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21933, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mandleni, B. & Anim, F.D.K., 2011. "Climate change and adaptation of small-scale cattle and sheep farmers," 85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 108962, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Luseno, Winnie K. & McPeak, John G. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Little, Peter D. & Gebru, Getachew, 2003. "Assessing the Value of Climate Forecast Information for Pastoralists: Evidence from Southern Ethiopia and Northern Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 1477-1494, September.
- Kabubo-Mariara, Jane, 2009. "Global warming and livestock husbandry in Kenya: Impacts and adaptations," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(7), pages 1915-1924, May.
- Lybbert, Travis J. & Barrett, Christopher B. & McPeak, John G. & Luseno, Winnie K., 2003. "Bayesian Herders: Asymmetric Updating Of Rainfall Beliefs In Response To External Forecasts," Working Papers 14762, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Huysentruyt, Marieke & Barrett, Christopher B. & McPeak, John G., 2002. "Social Identity And Manipulative Interhousehold Transfers Among East African Pastoralists," Working Papers 14746, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Sudha Narayanan, 2012. "Safe gambles? Farmer perceptions of transactional certainty and risk-return tradeoffs in contract farming schemes in Southern India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2012-021, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & McPeak, John G., 2003. "Poverty Traps and Safety Nets," Working Papers 127808, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Luseno, Winnie K., 2001. "Decomposing Producer Price Risk: An Analysis Of Livestock Markets In Northern Kenya," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36154, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.