Capabilities, well-being and human development: A survey
AbstractEconomists have moved away from thinking of development in terms of growth of per capita GNP. The most influential alternative conception of development - due to Amartya Sen - involves judging the quality of life in terms of capabilities and viewing development as a 'capability expansion'. This article argues that Sen's approach is an inadequate account of development. It is further argued that other versions of the approach - involving the work of Nussbaum and Frankfurt - also fail. The most promising foundation for an account of human development derives from James Griffin's recent writings on well-being.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 33 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Subramanian, S., 2004. "Indicators of Inequality and Poverty," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Alexandre Bertin, 2004. "Quelle perspective pour l'approche par les capacités ?," Documents de travail 92, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Kuklys, W. & Robeyns, I., 2004. "Sen’s Capability Approach to Welfare Economics," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0415, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Alkire, Sabina, 2002. "Dimensions of Human Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 181-205, February.
- Sabina Alkire, 2008. "Concepts and Measures of Agency," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp010, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Marco Grasso & Enzo Di Giulio, 2003. "Mapping sustainable development in a capability perspective," HEW 0309001, EconWPA.
- Qizilbash, Mozaffar, 1997.
"Pluralism and well-being indices,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2009-2026, December.
- Qizilbash, M., 1996. "Pluralism and well-being indices," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9636, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Mozaffar Qizilbash, 2002. "Development, Common Foes and Shared Values," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 463-480.
- Gail Pacheco & Stephanie Rossouw & Joshua Lewer, 2013.
"Do Non-Economic Quality of Life Factors Drive Immigration?,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 110(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Lewer, Joshua J. & Pacheco, Gail & Rossouw, Stephanié, 2009. "Do Non-Economic Quality of Life Factors Drive Immigration?," IZA Discussion Papers 4385, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stefano Pareglio & Alessandro Vaglio & Marco Grasso & Stefania Migliavacca & Enzo Di Giulio, 2005. "Modelling sustainable human development in a capability perspective," Public Economics 0504008, EconWPA.
- David Hulme & John Toye, 2006. "The case for cross-disciplinary social science research on poverty, inequality and well-being," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(7), pages 1085-1107.
- Stephanié Rossouw & Wim Naudé, 2008. "The Non-Economic Quality of Life on a Sub-National Level in South Africa," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 86(3), pages 433-452, May.
- David A. Clark, 2005. "The Capability Approach: Its Development, Critiques and Recent Advances," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-032, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- John Toye & David Hulme, 2005. "The case for cross-disciplinary social science research on poverty, inequality and well-being," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-001, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Miles Cahill, 2005. "Is the Human Development Index Redundant?," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 31(1), pages 1-5, Winter.
- Yosef Jabareen, 2008. "A New Conceptual Framework for Sustainable Development," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 179-192, April.
- Stephanié Rossouw & Gail Pacheco, 2012. "Measuring Non-Economic Quality of Life on a Sub-National Level: A Case Study of New Zealand," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 439-454, June.
- Wiebke Kuklys & Ingrid Robeyns, 2004. "Sens's Capability Approach to Welfare Economics," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2004-03, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.