Volatility Spillovers between the US and China Stock Markets: Structural Break Test with Symmetric and Asymmetric GARCH Approaches
AbstractThe paper examines the short-run spillover effects of daily stock returns and volatilities between the Standard & Poor's (S&P) 500 stock index in the US and the Shanghai Stock Exchange (SSE) index in China. First, we find that a structural break occurred in the SSE stock return mean in December 2005. Second, by analyzing modified general autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity (GARCH)(1,1)-M models, we find evidence of a symmetric and asymmetric volatility spillover effect from the US to the China stock market in the post-break period. Third, we observe the symmetric volatility spillover effect from China to the US in the post-break period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Global Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 39 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111729
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Li, Hong, 2012. "The impact of China's stock market reforms on its international stock market linkages," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 358-368.
- David E. Allen & Michael McAleer & R.J. Powell & A.K. Singh, 2013.
"Volatility Spillovers from the US to Australia and China across the GFC,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
13-009/III, Tinbergen Institute, revised 01 Feb 2013.
- David E. Allen & Michael McAleer & Robert J. Powell & Abhay K. Singh, 2012. "Volatility Spillovers from the US to Australia and China across the GFC," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2012-30, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- David E Allen & Michael McAleer & Robert J Powell & Abhay Kumar Singh, 2012. "Volatility spillovers from the US to Australia and China across the GFC," KIER Working Papers 838, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- M. Fatih Oztek & Nadir Ocal, 2012. "Integration of China Stock Markets with International Stock Markets: An application of Smooth Transition Conditional Correlation with Double Transition Functions," ERC Working Papers 1209, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Dec 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.