Cumulative and Combinatorial Micro-dynamics of Knowledge: The Role of Space and Place in Knowledge Integration
AbstractThe changing nature of innovation processes is a significant feature of the global structural transformation towards knowledge economies. Much more than in the past, innovation processes require the integration of highly specialized knowledge bases distributed over heterogeneous actors. Hence, we claim that there is a hidden qualitative shift in knowledge dynamics towards combinatorial knowledge. The geography of these knowledge dynamics on the micro-level is at the centre of this article. It explores the ways in which space and place shape cumulative and combinatorial knowledge dynamics by proximity economies and the institutional embeddedness of actors and in turn reshape territory and territorial configurations of actors. Knowing more about these interrelations may provide an improved basis for regional policy-making regarding the reform of established institutions and practices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Planning Studies.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEPS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Simone Strambach, 2013. "Micro-dynamics of knowledge: actors, processes and territorial organization," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2013-01, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Ron Boschma & Gaston Heimeriks & Pierre-Alexandre Balland, 2013.
"Scientific Knowledge Dynamics and Relatedness in Bio-Tech Cities,"
Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG)
1304, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Apr 2013.
- Boschma, Ron & Heimeriks, Gaston & Balland, Pierre-Alexandre, 2014. "Scientific knowledge dynamics and relatedness in biotech cities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 107-114.
- Anna Butzin & Brigitta Widmaier, 2012. "The Study of Time-Space Dynamics of Knowledge with Innovation Biographies," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2012-07, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Moodysson , Jerker & Sack , Lionel, 2013. "Innovation under the protected label of origin: heritage, influence and expanding horizons in Cognac," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2013/40, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Simone Strambach & Annika Surmeier, 2012. "Knowledge Dynamics in Sustainable Standard Setting in Tourism â€“ The case of "Fair Trade in Tourism South Africa (FTTSA)"," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2012-04, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.