Earnings Management and Audit Quality in Europe: Evidence from the Private Client Segment Market
AbstractThis paper contributes to the recent literature on financial reporting quality in private (i.e. non-listed) companies (Ball and Shivakumar, 2005; Burgstahler et al., 2006) by examining whether in these types of companies Big 4 audit firms, as high quality auditors, provide a constraint on earnings management. Considering incentives of auditors to supply a high audit quality in private firms, we expect that Big 4 auditors have an incentive to constrain earnings management only in high tax alignment countries, where financial statements are more scrutinized by tax authorities and the probability that an audit failure is detected is higher. Using data on private firms in European countries, this study provides evidence consistent with this expectation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Accounting Review.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20
Other versions of this item:
- Van Tendeloo Brenda & Vanstraelen A., 2005. "Earnings Management and Audit Quality in Europe: Evidence from the Private Client Segment Market," Working Papers 2005012, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Tendeloo, Brenda van & Vanstraelen, Ann, 2008. "Earnings Management and Audit Quality in Europe: Evidence from the Private Client Segment Market," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-18428, Maastricht University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hope, Ole-Kristian & Langli, John Christian & Thomas, Wayne B., 2012. "Agency conflicts and auditing in private firms," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 500-517.
- Mehmet Ünsal Memis & Emin Hüseyin Cetenak, 2012. "Earnings Management, Audit Quality and Legal Environment: An International Comparison," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(4), pages 460-469.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2010.
"Firm Ownership Type, Earnings Management and Auditor Relationships: Evidence from India,"
30322, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saibal Ghosh, 2011. "Firm ownership type, earnings management and auditor relationships: evidence from India," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 350-369, May.
- Yasemin KARAIBRAHIMOGLU, 2013. "Is Corporate Governance A Determinant of Auditor Choice?-Evidence From Turkey," Ege Academic Review, Ege University Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 13(2), pages 273-284.
- Van Tendeloo B., 2007. "Audit quality and tax-induced earnings management in UK private firms," Working Papers 2007004, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Arnedo, Laura & Lizarraga, Fermin & Sanchez, Santiago, 2007. "Does public/private status affect the level of earnings management in code-law contexts outside the United States? A study based on the Spanish case," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 305-328.
- Jyrki Niskanen & Jukka Karjalainen & Mervi Niskanen & Jussi Karjalainen, 2011. "Auditor gender and corporate earnings management behavior in private Finnish firms," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(9), pages 778-793, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.