The negative impact of R&D capitalization: A value relevance approach
AbstractAccounting for R&D costs is an open issue. SFAS N�2 mandates that all R&D costs must be immediately expensed. IAS 38 requires capitalization of R&D costs if they meet certain criteria. Recent research papers show the value relevance of capitalized R&D. We test the value relevance of R&D reporting in a sample of 197 French firms between 1993 and 2002. The French context provides an interesting field for R&D value relevance studies because both accounting treatments of R&D costs (expensing and capitalization) are allowed. Unlike previous studies, we find that capitalized R&D is negatively associated with stock prices and returns. This negative coefficient on capitalized R&D implies that investors are concerned with and react negatively to capitalization of R&D. We also find that the firms choosing to capitalize (successful) R&D are smaller, more highly leveraged, less profitable and have less growth opportunities. Taking into account these characteristics, our robustness checks confirm that capitalized R&D is not associated with higher prices and is related to lower returns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Accounting Review.
Volume (Year): 15 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean François Casta & Olivier Ramond & Lionel Escaffre, 2005. "Intangibles Investments and Accounting Numbers Usefulness : an Empirical Study of the European Stock Market," Post-Print hal-00769333, HAL.
- Casta, Jean-François & Ramond, Olivier & Escaffre, Lionel, 2005. "Investissement immatériel et utilité de l'information comptable: Etude empirique sur les marchés financiers européens," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2248, Paris Dauphine University.
- Jean-François Casta & Olivier Ramond & Lionel Escaffre, 2008. "Economic Properties of Recognized Intangibles under Domestic Accounting Standards: Evidence from European Capital Markets," Post-Print halshs-00681592, HAL.
- Shah, Syed Zulfiqar Ali & Liang, Shuang & Akbar, Saeed, 2013. "International Financial Reporting Standards and the value relevance of R&D expenditures: Pre and post IFRS analysis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 158-169.
- Casta, Jean-François & Ramond, Olivier & Escaffre, Lionel, 2007. "Intangible investments & accounting numbers : usefulness, informativeness, and relevance on the European stock markets," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2641, Paris Dauphine University.
- Gaëlle Lenormand & Lionel Touchais, 2008. "La pertinence des actifs incorporels avec les IFRS," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 11(2), pages 173-201, June.
- Guillaume Dumas, 2012. "Le Comportement Myopique D'Investissement En R&D : Une Realite En France ?," Post-Print hal-00690955, HAL.
- Constant Djama & Guillaume Dumas & Isabelle Martinez, 2011. "L'innovation : une incitation à la gestion des résultats ?," Post-Print hal-00650418, HAL.
- Constant Djama & Guillaume Dumas & Isabelle Martinez, 2013. "Entreprises innovantes et gestion des résultats comptables," Post-Print hal-01002932, HAL.
- C. Ollier Bessieux & M. Chavent & V. Kuentz & E. Walliser, 2009. "Les effets de l'adoption obligatoire des normes IFRS sur les incorporels : le cas de la France," Post-Print halshs-00458968, HAL.
- Corinne Bessieux-Ollier & Marie Chavent & Vanessa Kuentz & Elisabeth Walliser, 2012. "The mandatory adoption of IFRS on intangibles: upheaval or inertia? The case of France," International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Performance Evaluation, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 8(1), pages 91-113.
- Jean-Michel Sahut & Sandrine Boulerne & Frédéric Teulon, 2011.
"Do IFRS provide better information about intangibles in Europe?,"
Review of Accounting and Finance,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(3), pages 267-290, August.
- Jean-Michel Sahut & Sandrine Boulerne & Frederic Teulon, 2014. "Do IFRS Provide Better Information About Intangibles in Europe ?," Working Papers 2014-361, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.