Mobilizing local knowledge with 'Provocative' non-financial measures
AbstractKnowledge and organizational learning are central concerns of contemporary organizations. Local knowledge is stored in the detailed operational practices, professional routines and grassroot ways of thinking in specific situations, which different agents employ in their organizational segments and niches. These sources of field insight are relevant in producing new competitive initiatives and in the creation of new strategy. This empirically grounded paper illustrates how focused non-financial management accounting measurement brings the controller closer to operational detail, stimulates horizontal debate, and leads to expert resistance. It suggests that non-financial measurement, as an intrusive and controversial management accounting technology, can be perceived as being 'provocative'. Organizational actors react strongly to this focused measurement. However, 'provocative' non-financial measurement assists the articulation of intriguing local knowledge in organizational discourse, providing new possibilities for the controller in locally situated processes of learning.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Accounting Review.
Volume (Year): 13 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bertrand Masquefa, 2008. "Top management adoption of a locally driven performance measurement and evaluation system: A social network perspective," Post-Print halshs-00282391, HAL.
- Jordan, Silvia & Messner, Martin, 2012. "Enabling control and the problem of incomplete performance indicators," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 544-564.
- Fasshauer, Ingrid, 2012. "Les interactions entre contrôle et stratégie : redéfinition du rôle des cadres intermédiaires et du levier interactif de contrôle," Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University, number 123456789/11150 edited by Berland, Nicolas.
- Marc Bollecker, 2007. "Les Publications Europeennes Et Americaines Sur Les Contrôleurs De Gestion : Un Essai De Synthese," Post-Print halshs-00522301, HAL.
- Kilfoyle, Eksa & Richardson, Alan J. & MacDonald, Laura D., 2013. "Vernacular accountings: Bridging the cognitive and the social in the analysis of employee-generated accounting systems," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 382-396.
- Pierre Teller & Bertrand Masquefa, 2013. "The interplay of uncertainty, structure and trust on the diffusion of management accounting and control systems: An agent based modeling approach," Working Papers hal-00548754, HAL.
- Marc Bollecker, 2009. "Contrôleur de gestion : une fonction en danger ?," Post-Print halshs-00456209, HAL.
- Angèle Renaud, 2011. "Vers une tridimensionalité du contrôle interactif," Post-Print hal-00650565, HAL.
- Marion Brivot, 2007. "Le Contrôle De L'Utilisation Des Connaissances Organisationnelles Dans Les Firmes De Services Professionnels," Post-Print halshs-00543210, HAL.
- Grégory Wegmann & Evelyne Poincelot, 2005. "Utilisation des critères non financiers pour évaluer ou piloter la performance : analyse théorique," Post-Print halshs-00481768, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.