The effect of national culture on management control and incentive system design in multi-business firms: evidence of intracorporate isomorphism
AbstractThis paper examines whether variations in national culture at the business-unit level of multi-business firms that operate internationally trigger adjustments in the corporate management control and incentive systems (MCISs) to fit local business-unit circumstances. Although the results show that selected MCIS characteristics are attuned to business-unit national culture, further analysis of multi-level data reveal small business-unit effects relative to corporate effects. The presence of dominant corporate effects suggests that MCISs tend to be uniformly implemented within firms, rather than to reflect local business-unit conditions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Accounting Review.
Volume (Year): 12 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Williams, Christopher & van Triest, Sander, 2009. "The impact of corporate and national cultures on decentralization in multinational corporations," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 156-167, April.
- Vassili Joannides & Danture Wickramasinghe & Nicolas Berland, 2012. "Critiques On Gray-Hofstede'S Model: What Impact On Cross-Cultural Accounting Research?," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-00690933, HAL.
- Samuel Sponem, 2010. "Diversité des pratiques de contrôle budgétaire:approches contingentes et néo-institutionnelles," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 13(3), pages 115-153., September.
- Amaury Grimand & Ewan Oiry & Aurélien Ragaigne, 2012. "Les Vertus Habilitantes Et Contraignantes Du Controle : Une Comparaison De Deux Etudes De Cas De Transformation Des Outils," Post-Print hal-00690940, HAL.
- Cristiana Parisi, 2013. "The impact of organisational alignment on the effectiveness of firms’ sustainability strategic performance measurement systems: an empirical analysis," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 71-97, February.
- Brandau, Michael & Endenich, Christoph & Trapp, Rouven & Hoffjan, Andreas, 2013. "Institutional drivers of conformity – Evidence for management accounting from Brazil and Germany," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 466-479.
- Joannides, Vassili & Wickramasinghe, Danture & Berland, Nicolas, 2012. "Critiques on gray-hofstede’s model: what impact on cross-cultural accounting research?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/9497, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.