Testing the Martingale Difference Hypothesis
AbstractIn this paper we consider testing that an economic time series follows a martingale difference process. The martingale difference hypothesis has typically been tested using information contained in the second moments of a process, that is, using test statistics based on the sample autocovariances or periodograms. Tests based on these statistics are inconsistent since they cannot detect nonlinear alternatives. In this paper we consider tests that detect linear and nonlinear alternatives. Given that the asymptotic distributions of the considered tests statistics depend on the data generating process, we propose to implement the tests using a modified wild bootstrap procedure. The paper theoretically justifies the proposed tests and examines their finite sample behavior by means of Monte Carlo experiments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Econometric Reviews.
Volume (Year): 22 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Manuel A. Domínguez & Ignacio N. Lobato, 2006. "A Consistent Specification Test For Models Defined By Conditional Moment Restrictions," Economics Working Papers we064111, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Hong, Yongmiao & Lin, Hai & Wu, Chunchi, 2012. "Are corporate bond market returns predictable?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2216-2232.
- James Davidson & Andreea G. Halunga, 2013. "Consistent Model Specification Testing," Discussion Papers 1312, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Carlos Velasco & Ignacio N. Lobato, 2004. "A simple and general test for white noise," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 112, Econometric Society.
- Charles, Amélie & Darné, Olivier & Kim, Jae H., 2011.
"Small sample properties of alternative tests for martingale difference hypothesis,"
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 151-154, February.
- Amélie Charles & Olivier Darné & Jae H Kim, 2010. "Small Sample Properties of Alternative Tests for Martingale Difference Hypothesis," Working Papers 2010.07, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Chen, Bin & Song, Zhaogang, 2013. "Testing whether the underlying continuous-time process follows a diffusion: An infinitesimal operator-based approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 83-107.
- Friedrich Geiecke & Mark Trede, 2010. "A Direct Test of Rational Bubbles," CQE Working Papers 1310, Center for Quantitative Economics (CQE), University of Muenster.
- Stute, W. & Presedo Quindimil, M. & González Manteiga, W. & Koul, H.L., 2006. "Model checks of higher order time series," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(13), pages 1385-1396, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.