German aid and trade versus Namibian GDP and labour productivity
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of German foreign aid to, and net trade with, Namibia on Namibia's recent (1985-95) economic performance. The analysis suggests significant benefits for Namibia from trade with and assistance from Germany. However, domestic capital is found to determine Namibian economic growth more than net trade with Germany and German foreign aid to Namibia, while the effect of German capital tends be larger than that of German aid. A need for direct foreign investment from Germany to Namibia is inferred. Two types of further investigations are required: a joint determination of economic growth, aid, trade and capital formation, and a disaggregation of German aid to Namibia with an analysis of its individual impacts compared with similar effects of aid from other donors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (1998)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tony Addison & George Mavrotas & Mark McGillivray, 2005.
"Development assistance and development finance: evidence and global policy agendas,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 819-836.
- Addison, Tony & Mavrotas, George & McGillivray, Mark, 2005. "Development Assistance and Development Finance: Evidence and Global Policy Agendas," Working Paper Series RP2005/23, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- V. Heinrich Amavilah, 2003. ""Does Trade Cause Growth?" - A Comment," GE, Growth, Math methods 0307001, EconWPA.
- Addison, Tony & Mavrotas, George & McGillivray, Mark, 2005.
"Aid, Debt Relief and New Sources of Finance for Meeting the Millennium Development Goals,"
Working Paper Series
RP2005/09, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Tony Addison & George Mavrotas & Mark McGillivray, 2010. "Aid, Debt Relief and New Sources of Finance for Meeting the Millennium Development Goals," Working Papers id:2592, eSocialSciences.
- Mark McGillivray, 2005. "Réformer la formule : commentaires.Efficacité de l'aide et régimes de politiques économiques dans les pays receveurs," Revue d’économie du développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 19(2), pages 119-127.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.