On arbitrage-free pricing of weather derivatives based on fractional Brownian motion
AbstractWe derive an arbitrage-free pricing dynamics for claims on temperature, where the temperature follows a fractional Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process. Using a fractional white noise calculus, one can express the dynamics as a special type of conditional expectation not coinciding with the classical one. Using a Fourier transformation technique, explicit expressions are derived for claims of European and average type, and it is shown that these pricing formulas are solutions of certain Black and Scholes partial differential equations. Our results partly confirm a conjecture made by Brody, Syroka and Zervos.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Mathematical Finance.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=100141
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wolfgang Karl Härdle & Brenda López-Cabrera & Matthias Ritter, 2012. "Forecast based Pricing of Weather Derivatives," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-027, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Esben Hoeg & Per Frederiksen, 2006. "The Fractional OU Process: Term Structure Theory and Application," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 194, Society for Computational Economics.
- Høg, Espen P. & Frederiksen, Per H., 2006. "The Fractional Ornstein-Uhlenbeck Process: Term Structure Theory and Application," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2006-01, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Bishwal, Jaya P.N., 2008. "Large deviations in testing fractional Ornstein-Uhlenbeck models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(8), pages 953-962, June.
- Neuenkirch, Andreas, 2008. "Optimal pointwise approximation of stochastic differential equations driven by fractional Brownian motion," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 118(12), pages 2294-2333, December.
- Rostek, Stefan & Schöbel, Rainer, 2006. "Risk preference based option pricing in a fractional Brownian market," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 299, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.