Causality between trade and tourism: empirical evidence from China
AbstractCurrent literature concerning tourism forecasting points out the role played by international trade in affecting international tourism flows. This study investigates the nature of causal relationship, if any, between international tourism and international trade flows using the case of China. The study applies the Granger no-causality procedure developed by Toda and Yamamoto in a vector autoregresion (VAR) model, and attempts to improve previous tourism forecasting studies, in the context of tourist demand function, by identifying the direction of the endogeniety between tourist travel and international trade. Findings indicate a two-way Granger causality between international travel and international trade and hence imply that trade flows do link with tourism in the case of China. Thus, previous tourism forecasting studies using a single equation approach may lead to biased estimates since they fail to consider possible feedbacks between international trade and international tourism.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 8 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
RePEc Biblio mentionsAs found on the RePEc Biblio, the curated bibliography for Economics:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- María Santana-Gallego & Francisco Ledesma-Rodríguez & Jorge Pérez-Rodríguez, 2011. "Tourism and trade in OECD countries. A dynamic heterogeneous panel data analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 533-554, October.
- Hanafiah Harvey & Fumitaka Furuoka & Qaiser Munir, 2013. "The role of tourism and exchange rate on economic growth:Evidence from the BIMP-EAGA countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(4), pages 2756-2762.
- Vanegas, Manuel, Sr. & Croes, Robertico, 2007. "Tourism, Economic Expansion and Poverty in Nicaragua: Investigating Cointegration and Causal Relations," Staff Papers 7306, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Brida, Juan Gabriel & Pereyra, Juan S. & Risso, Wiston Adrián & Devesa, María Jesús Such & Aguirre, Sandra Zapata, 2008. "The Tourism-led Growth Hypothesis: Empirical Evidence from Colombia," MPRA Paper 25286, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 19 Mar 2009.
- Lokman Gunduz & Abdulnasser Hatemi-J, 2005. "Is the tourism-led growth hypothesis valid for Turkey?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(8), pages 499-504.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2008:i:21:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- TANAKA Ayumu, 2013. "Geographic Concentration of Foreign Visitors to Japan," Discussion papers 13008, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Vikas GAUTAM & Suresh KG, 2012. "An Empirical Investigation About Relationship Between International Trade And Tourist Arrival: Evidence From India," Business Excellence and Management, Faculty of Management, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 2(3), pages 53-62, September.
- Jr-Tsung Huang, 2007. "Labor force participation and juvenile delinquency in Taiwan: a time series analysis," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 137-150, March.
- Rinaldo Brau & Anna Maria Pinna, 2013.
"Movements of People for Movements of Goods?,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(10), pages 1318-1332, October.
- Fischer, Christian & Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2007.
"The nature of the relationship between international tourism and international trade: the case of German imports of Spanish wine,"
57033, University of Bonn, Institute for Food and Resource Economics.
- Christian Fischer & Luis Gil-Alana, 2009. "The nature of the relationship between international tourism and international trade: the case of German imports of Spanish wine," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(11), pages 1345-1359.
- Fischer, Christian & Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2006. "The nature of the relationship between international tourism and international trade: the case of German imports of Spanish wine," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10049, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fischer, Christian & Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2006. "The Nature of the Relationship between International Tourism and International Trade: The Case of German Imports of Spanish Wine," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25341, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Edgar J Sanchez Carrera & W. Adrian Risso & Juan Gabriel Brida, 2008. "Tourism's Impact on Long-Run Mexican Economic Growth," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(21), pages 1-8.
- Gil-Alana, Luis A. & Fischer, Christian, 2007. "International traveling and trade: further evidence for the case of Spanish wine based on fractional VAR specifications," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7859, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Schubert, Stefan Franz & Brida, Juan Gabriel, 2009. "A Dynamic Model of Economic Growth in a Small Tourism Driven Economy," MPRA Paper 16737, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Fischer & Luis Alberiko Gil-Alana, 2005. "The Nature of the Relationship between International Tourism and International Trade: The Case of Ge," Faculty Working Papers 15/05, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Andreas G. Georgantopoulos, 2013. "Tourism Expansion and Economic Development: Var/Vecm Analysis and Forecasts for the Case of India," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(4), pages 464-482, April.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Susan S Sharma & Deepa Bannigidadmath, . "Does Tourism Predict Macroeconomic Performance in Pacific Island Countries?," Financial Econometics Series 2013_03, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Sarmidi, Tamat & Salleh, Norlida H, 2010. "Dynamic inter-relationship between trade, economic growth and tourism in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 21056, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Juan Gabriel Brida & Silvia London & Mara Rojas, 2013. "A Dynamic Model of Tourism and Economic Growth: the Role of Physical and Human Capital," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 1361-1373.
- Brida, Juan Gabriel & Barquet, Andrea & Risso, Wiston Adrián, 2009. "Causality between Economic Growth and Tourism Expansion: Empirical Evidence from Trentino - Alto Adige," MPRA Paper 25316, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Dec 2009.
- Camelia Surugiu & Marius-Razvan Surugiu, 2011. "Causality Between Tourism Exports And Trade Openness: Empirical Analysis For Romanian Tourism," Revista Tinerilor Economisti (The Young Economists Journal), University of Craiova, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 1(17), pages 100-109, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.