Is waste generation de-linking from economic growth? Empirical evidence for Europe
AbstractThe article provides empirical evidence on the de-linking of waste generation from economic growth. The data used refer to the European countries. An investigation carried out into packaging and municipal waste indicators shows that any de-coupling which has eventually taken place has been of a relative nature. Estimated waste elasticities with respect to income highlight that a hypothetical turning point, that would eventually characterize a Kuznets curve for waste, is far from being reached. Europe thus appears to be lagging behind in the effort to invert the relationship between waste and income/consumption indicators. The lack of policy targets in reference to waste prevention at source, in addition to recovery/recycling goals, may be considered as a primary policy-related reason behind the absence of a stronger de-linking process for waste in Europe. The applied panel investigation, though informative since it refers to a homogenous regional area, reveals the need for further work, exploring de-linking processes that focus on specific materials and/or countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 15 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nahid HOSSAIN & Yuzuru MIYATA, 2012. "Municipal Solid Waste Management of Toyohashi City: an Analysis by Environmental Kuznets Curve," Regional Science Inquiry, Hellenic Association of Regional Scientists, vol. 0(2), pages 97-110, December.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Anna Montini & Francesco Nicolli, 2010. "Waste Generation and Landfill Diversion Dynamics: Decentralised Management and Spatial Effects," Working Papers 2010.27, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- repec:hrs:journl:v:4:y:2012:i:2:p:97-110 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sjöström, Magnus & Östblom, Göran, 2009. "Future Waste Scenarios for Sweden based on a CGE-model," Working Paper 109, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Östblom, Göran & Ljunggren Söderman, Maria & Sjöström, Magnus, 2010. "Analysing future solid waste generation - Soft linking a model of waste management with a CGE-model for Sweden," Working Paper 118, National Institute of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.