Oligopolization in collective rent-seeking
AbstractIn this paper we discuss the issue of when oligopolization in collective rent-seeking occurs, that is, when some groups retire from rent-seeking. A complete characterization of the pure-strategy Nash equilibrium in a collective rent-seeking game among m (\geq2) heterogeneous groups is derived. The conditions of oligopolization are derived by using this result and related to the works of Nitzan [9, 10] and Hillman and Riley . Also, the subgame perfect equilibrium of a simple two-stage collective rent-seeking game (Lee ) is fully characterized. In this game, it is confirmed that no group retires from the contest in the second stage and oligopolization never occurs. An example of the two-stage collective rent-seeking game with monitoring costs is devised to show the possibilities of oligopolization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Choice and Welfare.
Volume (Year): 19 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Note: Received: 21 September 1999/Accepted: 27 March 2001 received very helpful comments from Debraj Ray. All remaining errors are my responsibility.-->
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Epstein, Gil S. & Mealem, Yosef & Nitzan, Shmuel, 2010.
"Political Culture and Discrimination in Contests,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5158, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Epstein, Gil S. & Mealem, Yosef & Nitzan, Shmuel, 2011. "Political culture and discrimination in contests," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1-2), pages 88-93, February.
- Epstein, Gil S. & Mealem, Yosef & Nitzan, Shmuel, 2011. "Political culture and discrimination in contests," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 88-93.
- Gil S. Epstein & Yosef Mealem & Shmuel Nitzan, 2010. "Political Culture and Discrimination in Contests," CESifo Working Paper Series 3170, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gil S. Epstein & Yosef Mealem & Shmuel Nitzan, 2010. "Political Culture and Discrimination in Contests," Working Papers 2010-18, Department of Economics, Bar-Ilan University.
- Shmuel Nitzan & Kaoru Ueda, 2014.
"Intra-group heterogeneity in collective contests,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 219-238, June.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2007. "Strategy in contests: an introduction," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2007-01, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- María Cubel & Santiago Sanchez-Pages, 2014. "Difference-form group contests," Working Papers 2014/6, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Shmuel Nitzan & Kaoru Ueda, 2010.
"Prize Sharing in Collective Contests,"
2010-08, Department of Economics, Bar-Ilan University.
- Nitzan, Shmuel & Ueda, Kaoru, 2009. "Collective contests for commons and club goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1-2), pages 48-55, February.
- Francis Bloch, 2009. "Endogenous formation of alliances in conflicts," Working Papers hal-00435387, HAL.
- Santiago Sanchez-Pages, 2007.
"Endogenous Coalition Formation in Contests,"
ESE Discussion Papers
158, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Heinrich Ursprung, 2011.
"The Evolution of Sharing Rules in Rent Seeking Contests: Incentives Crowd Out Cooperation,"
Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz
2011-02, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Heinrich Ursprung, 2012. "The evolution of sharing rules in rent seeking contests: Incentives crowd out cooperation," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 153(1), pages 149-161, October.
- Baik, Kyung Hwan & Dijkstra, Bouwe R. & Lee, Sanghack & Lee, Shi Young, 2006. "The equivalence of rent-seeking outcomes for competitive-share and strategic groups," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 337-342, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.