Improvement indices of well-being (*)
AbstractIn recent years, various classes of indices measuring the improvement of well-being have been suggested. Formally, an improvement index is a function Q*(x1, x2), where xt is the level of some attribute of well-being, e.g., life expectancy, in period t. This paper extends previous works on improvement indices by introducing a class of multidimensional indices which aggregates the improvement of a group of attributes of well-being. We propose a set of axioms which leads inexorably to a multidimensional generalization of Kakwani's class of improvement indices of well-being (Kakwani 1993).
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Choice and Welfare.
Volume (Year): 13 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Note: Received: 1 December 1993 / Accepted: 10 March 1995
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Iñaki Permanyer, 2013. "The measurement of success in achieving the Millennium Development Goals," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 393-415, September.
- Chakravarty, Satya R. & Pal, Rupayan, 2013.
"Financial inclusion in India: An axiomatic approach,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 813-837.
- Satya R. Chakravarty & Rupayan Pal, 2010. "Measuring financial inclusion: An Axiomatic approach," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2010-03, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2011.
"Human development in Africa : a long-run perspective,"
Working Papers in Economic History
wp11-09, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2013. "Human development in Africa: A long-run perspective," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 179-204.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2011. "Human Development in Africa: A Long-Run Perspective," Working Papers 0008, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2011. "Human Development in Africa: A Long-run Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 8586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Emanuele Felice, 2012. "Neither dashboard nor 'mashup' indices: an empirical wealth approach as a pathway to a comprehensive measure of development," UHE Working papers 2012_01, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Departament d'Economia i Història Econòmica, Unitat d'Història Econòmica.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.