Measuring the effects of air quality regulations on "dirty" firm births: Evidence from the neo- and mature-regulatory periods
AbstractIn this article, we use annual (1980-90) county-level manufacturing plant location data for New York State to examine the effects of the 1977 Clean Air Act Amendments on the location decisions of new pollution-intensive manufacturing plants in the &ldquo:neo-regulatory" (1980-84) and "mature-regulatory" (1985-90) phases of the Act's implementation. Our results suggest that the temporal effects of regulation vary. Whereas the location decisions of pollution intensive manufacturing firms were unaffected by the Act's regulatory restrictions in the "neo-regulatory" period, the restrictions appear to have had a significant negative impact on the location decisions of these types of firms in the Act's "mature-regulatory" phase. The diversion of new pollution intensive plants to counties with less stringent environmental regulations suggests that current US environmental regulations may be leading to a "browning process" whereby counties historically free of pollution become havens for polluters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Papers in Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 79 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received: 2 April 1999
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10110/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q28 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Government Policy
- R38 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Government Policy
- R30 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Becker, Randy A., 2005.
"Air pollution abatement costs under the Clean Air Act: evidence from the PACE survey,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 144-169, July.
- Randy Becker, 2001. "Air Pollution Abatement Costs Under the Clean Air Act: Evidence from the PACE Survey," Working Papers 01-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Miguel C. Manjon-Antolin & Josep Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2006.
"Locations and Relocations: Modelling, Determinants, and Interrelations,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa06p33, European Regional Science Association.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2007. "Locations and Relocations:Modelling, Determinants, and Interrelations," Working Papers 2072/5316, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Rauscher, Michael, 2001. "International Trade, Foreign Investment, and the Enivronment," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 29, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Randy Becker, 2003.
"Pollution Abatement Expenditure by U.S. Manufacturing Plants: Do Community Characteristics Matter?,"
03-18, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Becker Randy A, 2003. "Pollution Abatement Expenditure by U.S. Manufacturing Plants: Do Community Characteristics Matter?," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-23, December.
- Hoffman, Joan, 2008. "Watershed shift: Collaboration and employers in the New York City Catskill/Delaware Watershed from 1990-2003," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1-2), pages 141-161, December.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Liviano, Daniel, 2007. "Agglomeration and location: a nonparametric approach," Working Papers 2072/4288, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Liviano Solís, Daniel & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2008.
"Empirical studies in industrial location: an assessment of their methods and results,"
2072/9257, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod & Daniel Liviano-Solis & Miguel Manjón-Antolín, 2010. "Empirical Studies In Industrial Location: An Assessment Of Their Methods And Results," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 685-711.
- O. Ashton Morgan & Simon Condliffe, 2009.
"Spatial Heterogeneity in Environmental Regulation Enforcement and the Firm Location Decision among U.S. Counties,"
09-12, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Morgan, O. Ashton & Condliffe, Simon, 2009. "Spatial Heterogeneity in Environmental Regulation Enforcement and the Firm Location Decision among U.S. Counties," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 39(3), pages 239-52.
- Sturm, Daniel & Ulph, Alistair, 2002. "Environment, trade, political economy and imperfect information: a survey," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0204, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Douglas A. Carr, 2011. "The Intergovernmental Fiscal Effects of the Clean Air Act," Public Finance Review, , vol. 39(6), pages 810-830, November.
- Kim, Kijin, 2013. "The Effects of the Clean Air Act on Local Industrial Wages," 6th Annual CRAE, April 5-6, 2013, Columbus, Ohio 147489, Midwest Graduate Student Conference on Regional and Applied Economics (CRAE), The Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- Simon Condliffe & O. Ashton Morgan, 2009. "The effects of air quality regulations on the location decisions of pollution-intensive manufacturing plants," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 83-93, August.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria, 2007. "Industrial location at a local level: some comments about the territorial level of the analysis," Working Papers 2072/4178, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.